Death Notices submitted to KWE
Names Starting with "H"

Close this window

Haack, Clarence T.

Clarence T. Haake, 89, of Belleville, Illinois, born July 16, 1922, in Germantown, Illinois, died Saturday, January 7, 2012, at Memorial Hospital in Belleville.

Mr. Haake retired from the Nabisco company after many years of service. He was a devoted Cardinals fan, and an avid card player. He was a member of the American Legion, and the Belleville-Swansea Moose Lodge 1221. He belonged to St. Teresa Catholic Church, to the Men’s Club at the church, and was a fourth degree member of the Knights of Columbus Council 1028. Clarence was a U. S. Army veteran of World War II and the Korean War. He was awarded the Purple Heart with oak leaf cluster and a Silver Star for gallantry during the war.

He was preceded in death by his parents, Arnold H. and Cecilia, nee Kniepmann, Haake; two grandchildren; two brothers, Thomas “Toby” Haake, and Arnold “Spike” Haake Jr.; his father-in-law and mother-in-law, Vincent W. and Catherine, nee Winter, Albers; five brothers-in-law, Lawrence Becker, August Lampe, Harold Albers, Edward Gramann, and Joseph Winter; and one sister-in-law, Adele Albers.

Surviving are his loving wife of 63 years, Elizabeth G., nee Albers, Haake, whom he married on May 12, 1948; seven children, Sharon K. (Art) Fahrner of Swansea, IL, Philip V. (Reatha) Haake of Germantown, IL, Stanley A. (Bonnie) Haake of Waterloo, IL, Mark T. (Deby) Haake of Bridgeton, MO, Dennis R. (Jane) Haake of Belleville, IL, Mary Beth (Brian) Kalmer of Belleville, IL; and Ginny E. (Kevin) Bouse of Shiloh, IL; 17 grandchildren; three step grandchildren; nine great-grandchildren; four step-great-grandchildren; four sisters, Lucille Gramann of Germantown, IL, Pauline (Norman) Dierkes of Carlyle, IL, Delores (John) Johnson of Germantown, IL, Mary Winter of Breese, IL; one brother, Richard (Kathy) Haake of Germantown, IL; and two sisters-in-law, Marilyn Haake and Ethel Haake, both of Germantown, IL.

The Haake family would like to thank Dr. Brad Ringhofer, Emergency Room staff, staff on 4 South and 3 South at Belleville Memorial Hospital, Home Instead Caregivers, and the Hospice of Southern Illinois for the passionate care of our loved one.

Memorials may be made to St. Teresa Catholic Church, to Hospice of Southern Illinois, or to The American Heart Association. Condolences may be expressed to the family online at Visitation: Friends may call from 4 to 8 p.m. Monday, January 9, 2012 and from 9 to 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, January 10, 2012, at George Renner and Sons Funeral Home, Belleville, IL.  Funeral: Funeral procession will leave 10:45 a.m. Tuesday, January 10, 2012, from George Renner & Sons Funeral Home, Belleville, IL, for an 11 a.m. Mass of Christian Burial at St. Teresa’s Catholic Church, Belleville, IL, with Reverend David Darin officiating. Burial will follow at Lake View Memorial Gardens, Fairview Heights, IL.

Haack, Joseph R.

Joseph R. Haack of Ridgewood died on Saturday, October 9, 2010, at the age of 80. He was the dear brother of Helen Roesch. He served in the U.S. Army and was stationed in Korea. He served in 1952 on Hill 867 with the 81st Mortar unit, Company D, 9th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division.  A Mass of Christian Burial was offered at St. Mattias R.C. Church, interment followed in St. John’s Cemetery, under the direction of George Werst Funeral Home, A Dignity Provider, 71-41 Cooper Avenue, Glendale.

Haarmann, Aloysius W.

Haarmann, Aloysius W., Sr., age 79, Florissant, Missouri, died on Friday, November 19, 2010, surrounded by his family and fortified with the Sacraments of Holy Mother Church.

Loving husband of Dolores (nee Busken) Haarmann; son of the late Harry and Helen Haarmann; dear father of Rene' (Damon) Kramer, Al (Carol) Haarmann, Mary Jane (Kevin) Flynn, Dan (Ronna) Haarmann; proud grandfather of Teresa, Jeff, David and Michael Kramer, Andy (Angela) and Adam (Annie) Haarmann, Kyle, Rita and Megan Flynn, Amber and Jonathan Haarmann; treasured great-grandfather of Jeremy and Taylor Haarmann; dear brother of Hildegarde Moellering, Henry (Helen) Haarmann, Raymond Haarmann and Melvin (Marlene) Haarmann; brother of the late Margaret Ebbesmeyer, Bernard Haarmann, Bro. George Haarmann, S.M., Ann Marie Goeke, Sr. Rita Haarmann,C.PP.S. and Lambert Haarmann; dear brother-in-law, cousin, uncle and friend to many.

Al was a life long member of Sacred Heart Parish (Florissant, Missouri), member of League of One Thousand Men, Past President of St. Vincent dePaul Society, Nocturnal Adoration Society, Korean War Veteran and recipient of the Silver Star.

Services: Procession from Hutchens Mortuary, 675 Graham Rd., Florissant, Wednesday, November 24 at 11:00 a.m. to Sacred Heart Church for a 11:30 a.m. Mass. Interment Sacred Heart Cemetery.

Hackel, Robert Joseph

My dad passed away very unexpectedly June 14, 2009. That summer I was planning on working with him to try and document his Korean War experiences because in the past he had not wanted to say too much about his time there and I really felt it was important to document his six years of service to his country. The only reference he ever made to me of his experience was during a conversation when he talked about 'walking for 24 hours straight'. I naively asked him when had he ever walked for 24 hours? His response was short and to the point. He said, "When the Chinese are 24 hours behind you, you don't stop marchin'"! My wish is to try to find anyone who may have served with him, who may be able to help me piece together his time in the service.

My dad was the best father, role model and friend anyone could ask for.  I was blessed to call him my dad. He is still so very deeply missed by all of his children, and especially by his beloved wife of 53 years. Below is a portion of his funeral notice:

On Sunday, June 14, 2009, Robert (Bob) Joseph Hackel, age 77, died suddenly in Hastings, Minnesota. He enjoyed his summers in Hastings with family, and spent his winters in Dunedin, Florida, following his retirement. His enthusiasm for life was evident in the many friendships he made along his life path. For those who knew Bob, he was one of a kind. He was known for his corny jokes, his love of telling a good story, and giving unsolicited golfing tips to perfect strangers. He was an original Packer fan and wore the Green and Gold with pride. When it came to the Vikings games, if the Pack was not contending, he rooted for the opposing team. Bob grew up in Minneapolis and served his country in the Korean War. He met and married Kathryn Lyman of Winsted, Minnesota in 1955. Post marriage and three (of seven) kids later, Bob graduated from the University of Minnesota with a degree in Engineering. He was employed with Sperry Univac for over 35 years, where he contributed to the evolution of computer technology--watching computers progress from filling an entire building to being held in the palm of the hand.

He was a member of the Aqua Jesters Clown Club and participated in many parades and benefit events, bringing joy to the lives of thousands of children. Some of his favorite characters he created were Yipes Stripes and The Hobo. He was also given the unique opportunity to play one of the very first Ronald McDonald clowns in the Midwest. (Don’t tell your kids, but he was also Santa Claus.) He filled his entire South Minneapolis back yard with Dahlias, much to the disappointment of his neighbors on 44th Avenue.  Bob, ahead of his time, didn’t believe in lawns. Space that wasn’t filled with flowers contained vegetables and herbs.

He won many State Fair awards with his colorful floral arrangements through the annual Minnesota Dahlia Society flower show. A competitor at heart, he also entered several state fair baking contests with his creative recipes, including an original Sunflower Seed Cookie. A self-taught man, Bob was a roofer, a plumber, an electrician and a carpenter in his spare time. A phone call away, he would gather his tools to help anyone with a construction crisis. The last time he packed his tool bag was for a volunteer project with the People of Praise Indianapolis Action Project, returning from this two-week trip the day before he died.

Thank you for creating this wonderful site. - Sincerely, Ellen (Hackel) Schmitz

Hackett, James M.

James M. Hackett, 82, went to heaven on Christmas Day, December 25, 2014 in his home in Monticello, Illinois, after battling cancer.

Jim was born in rural Tuscola, Illinois on April 23, 1932 the second son of Weldon W. and Anna Louise (Cain) Hackett. He attended a country school for his first eight years of schooling and graduated from Tuscola High School with the class of 1950. He never let us forget that he was a Tuscola Warrior. He joined the Air Force in 1951 and served in Alaska during the Korean War. He was honorably discharged in 1953. He married Dorothy Parsons in Atwood, Illinois on January 30, 1955.

Jim enrolled in the College of Agriculture at the University of Illinois in the fall of 1954 and received his BS degree in 1957. While a student there he was a member of Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity, Alpha Zeta, and Hoof and Horn Club. He was also initiated into several honoraries: Phi Eta Sigma which he served as President, Gamma Sigma Delta, and Phi Kappa Phi. He considered it a great honor to be included on the Bronze Tablet. Jim was a proud and loyal alum of the University of Illinois and could be seen frequently cheering on “his boys” at Illinois football and basketball games.

After farming with his father for a few years, he left the farm in 1960 and began his career with The First National Bank of Chicago as a farm manager. During his career he became manager of all farm, city, and mineral property held in trust by the Bank. One of his favorite accounts to visit was the Allerton Farms near Monticello. He retired as a Vice President in 1990 and moved back downstate to Monticello where he was able to keep a closer eye on his corn and soybeans.

He loved to play golf and was a member of Olympia Fields Country Club and Monticello Golf Club. He was also a member of Monticello United Methodist Church, Quarterback Club, Rebounders Club, American Legion, and VFW. Jim will be remembered forever for his generosity and giving heart, his famous “Grandpa” cookies, and for his deep love and support of his family. He will be greatly missed but we know he is smiling down on us now saying, “It doesn’t get any better than this.”

He is survived by his beloved wife, Dorothy of Monticello; children, James E. (Linda) of Cisco, Sharon L. (Brian) McClowry of Naperville, and John W. (Michelle) of Torrance, CA; grandchildren, Erin McClowry, Megan McClowry, Molly McClowry, Kari McClowry, Brian McClowry, Ryan McClowry, Anna McClowry, Maggie McClowry, Emily Hackett, and Ethan Hackett; sister-in-law Patricia Hackett, sister-in-law Barbara Barr, and brother-in-law Edward H. Parsons. He was preceded in death by his parents and brother, Weldon W. Hackett, Jr.

Visitation will be Tuesday, December 30, 2014 at 9:00 A.M. followed by the funeral service at 10:00 A.M. at the Monticello United Methodist Church, 212 S. Independence, Monticello. Interment will follow at Tuscola Cemetery, Tuscola, Illinois. Memorials to Carle Hospice or American Cancer Society will be appreciated. Funeral arrangements are being handled by Mackey-Wright Funeral Home.

Hackett, Jerry R.

Jerry R. Hackett, born July 10, 1930, died January 19, 2008.  He served in the United States Marine Corps in Korea with C-1-5 from August 2, 1950 to May 5, 1951.

He was employed with the Howell Township Road Department for 25 years, retiring in 1990 as the traffic maintenance manager.  He was a parishioner of Holy Family Catholic Church in Lakewood.  He was a member of the Marine Corps League, and former member of the Knights of Columbus and the International Brotherhood of Teamsters Union Local No. 560, both of North Bergen.

He is survived by his wife of 55 years, Loretta M. Miranda Hackett; a son, Michael A. of Palmerton, PA; three daughters, Karen Davis and her husband, Clay of Howell, Maureen Sosville of Brick, and Amy Hackett of Hamilton; a sister, Ellen Jerkovich of Oak Ridge; six grandchildren, three great grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews.

The family requests any memorials to be made to: St. Jude Research Hospital, 501 St. Jude Place, Memphis, TN 38105-1942.

Hadden, Stanley E.

Stanley Edwin Hadden, 88, of Gulf Breeze passed away Friday, February 9, 2007 at a local nursing home.

Stan was a native of El Dorado, AK and resided in Gulf Breeze for the past six years, where he attended St. Frances of Assisi Episcopal Church. He was a life member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and a member of the Korean War Veterans Association. Mr. Hadden served in the United States Navy during World War II and the Korean Conflict. Stan was instrumental in the design and construction of the Korean Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C.

Mr. Hadden was a Colonel of Louisiana Governor Earl K. Long's staff, author of numerous publications, and writer and publisher of the The Eagle and The Angel, a weekly web newsletter. Stan was an accomplished artist of over 500 works of art distributed throughout the world, with his trademark dog, Buzzy, and the mysterious "Lady in Brown". Most notable is "The Reading of the Declaration of Independence", hanging at the headquarters of Colt Industries.

Preceding Stan in death was his son, Timothy Delano Hadden, his daughter-in-law, Marlene Troxclair Hadden, wife of Stan II, one sister Omelia, and one brother, Arthur.  Survivors include his wife of 67 years, Ruth P. Hadden of Gulf Breeze; daughter, Patricia H. Woodburn of Gulf Breeze; son Stanley E. Hadden II of Corrigan, TX; four grandchildren, Lisa A Salom (Jaime), John P. Woodburn (Michelle), Susan G. Kacachos (James) and Kim A. Schwager (Robert); seven great grandchildren, Justin, Katherine, Madalyn, Michael, Jordan, Sydney and Abigail; four sisters, Anna Belle Patton, Bertha Nichols, Jennie Murphy and Laura Ward; and two brothers, Perry Hadden and Billy Hadden.

Memorial services will be at a later date in Harper's Ferry, WV with inurnment in Port Hudson National Cemetery in Louisiana.

Published in the Pensacola News Journal on 2/13/2007.

Hagelin, Burton M.

Burton M. Hagelin of Dover-Foxcroft, Maine, died on October 20, 2005, after a long illness.  In Korea, Burt was a member of Company A, 9th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division.  He leaves his wife and four sons. [Source: Newsletter, Cpl. Clair Goodblood [MOH] Chapter, KWVA, Augusta, ME]

Haffey, Eugene H.

Eugene Haffey was the commander of Charlie Company, 7th Marines, during the Korean War.  According to his widow, he died in 1990.

Hahn, Edward J. "Jack" Jr.

Edward J. "Jack," Jr., Jeffersonville, Indiana, passed away Thursday, November 22, 2012 at Clark Memorial Hospital.  He served in the Korean war. Edward was a sales representative at Sherman Williams and office manager at AFLAC. He was also a member of the American Legion Post 35 and attended Sacred Heart Catholic Church.

He was preceded in death by his son, Bobby Hahn; daughters, Robin Hahn and Mary Lynn Hahn; first wife, Mary Jane Hahn; second wife, Maudie Hahn; and his parents, Edward J. Hahn and Estella Hahn. Edward is survived by his friends and caregivers, Grant and Margaret G. Morton.

Funeral service will be 10 a.m. Tuesday, December 4, 2012 at Sacred Heart Catholic Church with burial to follow in Walnut Ridge Cemetery. Visitation will be 4-8 p.m. Monday at E.M. Coots' Sons Funeral Home.

Hall, Howard Ansley

On August 17, 2012, Howard Ansley Hall of Cherry Hill, New Jersey, formerly of Haddonfield, New Jersey, died. Howard was born in Merchantville, New Jersey to the late Herbert and Fanny Hall and was raised in Enid, Oklahoma and Westmont, New Jersey.

Howard was a graduate of Collingswood High School and Rutgers University. He spent his career as an accountant for several South Jersey automotive dealerships, including H.A. DeHart & Son, Mt. Ephraim Dodge and Cherry Hill Dodge. Howard was an Army Veteran of the Korean War and a Masonic Brother of Rising Sun Lodge #15 F & AM for 57 years. He enjoyed gardening, country & western music and playing pinochle at the Haddonfield 65 Club.

His son Craig Hall, brother Herbert Hall, and sister Dorothy Kimes predeceased him. He was a dear Uncle to Nancy Decker (Charles) of Dunnellon, Florida, Brian Hall (Mikki) of Ocala, Florida, Enid Kimes (David) of Woodbridge, England, and Cynthia Voss of Ocala, Florida.

A private graveside service will be held. In lieu of flowers, donations in Howard's memory may be made to the Deborah Hospital Foundation, Collingswood Area Chapter, c/o 117 Oswego Ave., Audubon, NJ 08106.

Hall, Robert McCue

Col. Robert McCue Hall, MD, died January 28, 2011, of complications from pneumonia. He leaves behind his beloved wife of fifty-six years, Jane Carroll Hall, six children (Rowena Daniel Hall, of Vienna, VA; Michael McCue Hall of Austin, TX; Sue Hall of Raleigh; Elizabeth Hall Champagne of Macungie, PA; Thomas Carroll Hall, of Mays Landing, NJ; and Jennifer Hall Roettger of Tustin, CA) and twelve grandchildren.

Bob was a soldier, doctor, musician, officer, writer, historian, son, brother, father, and grandfather. He fought many good fights and specialized in lost causes; he even won a few. He was a veteran of three different wars who felt deep pride in what he had done in service of his country.

He was born on September 13, 1917, in Spring Ranch, Nebraska, to Irving and Mary McCue Hall. The family moved to Raleigh in 1931, and he attended Needham Broughton High School, where he played football and the clarinet in the high school band; he dreamed of being an orchestra conductor. He went to the Augusta Military Academy, Dartmouth College, and Harvard Medical School. He married his first wife Rowena Sidbury and entered the Army, serving as an infantry battalion surgeon with the 2nd Infantry Division as it landed at Omaha Beach in late June 1944, and made its way across Europe.

After the war he continued his postgraduate medical education in the teaching hospitals of Columbia, Duke, and Harvard. But with the Korean War looming he returned to the military, and many American soldiers owe their lives to his spending the next two years in Korea. He served with the 23rd Regimental Combat Team of the 2nd Infantry Division at the bloody turning-point battle of Chipyong-ni, and was instrumental in setting up the use of whole blood at the front lines and helicopters to ferry the injured to safety.

He married Jane Carroll of Oswego, New York, on November 7, 1954. Over the next years, Bob served whenever the Army called. He was Surgeon of the XVIII Airborne Corps, at Fort Bragg. He taught military medical subjects to medical officers at the British Army’s Field Medical Training Center at Mytchett. In October 1962 during the Cuban Missile Crisis he was sequestered with the Army’s potential invasion force, of which he was the chief medical officer. He was commander of the Army’s Medical Training Center at Fort Sam Houston, which trained all medical soldiers. He served in Vietnam in 1968 with the US Military Assistance Command, and was responsible for the health and well-being of half a million US personnel. From 1973 to 1974 he ran Brooke Army Medical Center at Fort Sam Houston.

During his time in the Army, he received Masters degrees in Public Health from the University of North Carolina School of Public Health and in Health Care Administration from Baylor University. He was a graduate of the Army’s Command and General Staff College, the Navy’s School of Aviation Medicine (where he learned to fly a fixed wing aircraft and a helicopter), and the National War College. He was a Fellow of the American College of Preventive Medicine and a member of many professional societies, including the Society of Medical Consultants to the Armed Forces, from which he received its Seale Award.

He was a highly decorated soldier--by the time he retired as a Colonel in 1976 he had earned one Purple Heart, two Silver Stars, and four Bronze Stars (with V for "valor"). In 1979 the Halls moved to Raleigh, where Bob became the Director of the Wake County Health Department. Among his many accomplishments was the institution of a requirement that cats be immunized against rabies in Wake County, and later, throughout North Carolina. He was ahead of his time with his concern about development in and around Falls Lake.

Bob Hall was a loving father. He sang and read to his young children every night and played the piano and encouraged his children to do so as well. He and Jane took many trips to France, where they indulged in one of their few extravagances: French wine. Back in Raleigh, as Jane became an increasingly in-demand quilting teacher and traveled around the world, Bob assumed the role of the stay-at-home spouse and spent his time writing about his wartime experiences. He became a focal point around which other Korean War veterans gathered and wrote. He was interviewed by David Halberstam and included in the author’s final book, The Coldest Winter.

In 2010, at age 92, Bob started a blog called “Military Medical Reminiscences of Three Wars” ( He wrote initially to correct the official Army version of what happened with the medical treatment at Chipyong-Ni (a battle he had been waging with the Army since 1991), but he also wrote about his World War II experiences, including traveling with the African-American soldiers of X Platoon of Charlie Company.

By this point he had become the patriarch of a huge family. They often gathered at the Hall home, where Bob reveled in the joyful chaos that surrounded him. He especially loved to sit at the head of the dinner table jammed with family members and watch, listen, and talk.

Bob was a hero for his battlefield valor and his time in the military. But he was a great man for other reasons as well, among them his deep love for Jane; his fostering in his children such values as honesty, service, and integrity; and his refusal to back down from any battle he thought worth fighting.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made to the Interfaith Food Shuttle (,  PO Box 14638, Raleigh NC 27620) or the charity of one’s choice.

A celebration of Bob’s life will be held on February 12 at 2pm at the Cremation Society of the Carolinas, 2205 E. Millbrook Rd., Raleigh. He will be interred at Arlington National Cemetery later in the Spring. - Published in The News & Observer on January 30, 2011

Hamm, Walter Owen

Walter Owen Hamm, born 6/29/1932, passed away in his home on February 23, 1999.

Hampton, Theron D.

June 1, 2011 Santa Barbara News-Press

Theron D. Hampton died peacefully in his sleep on May 27 at the age of 91. He was born in Randle, WA, on December 18, 1919, but the family moved to Antioch, CA, in 1923. Theron attended local schools and graduated from Antioch High. In 1939, he was employed as an appliance repairman at Claxton White Company in Pittsburg, California, where he met his future wife, Irene Beratto. They were married in November 1942, and shortly thereafter, Theron was called into the armed services.

He was assigned to the Army Air Corps and flew to England as a flight engineer on a B-24 bomber to join the Eighth Air Force. He participated in D-Day and flew a total of 32 combat missions before returning home. After his discharge, Theron and Irene made their home in Pittsburg where their daughter, Sheryl, was born. He was recalled for active duty in 1950 for the Korean War, was stationed in Japan, and flew 16 missions as a B-29 gunner mechanic. After a crash landing in Korea, he returned home and was discharged in August, 1951. The family then moved to Gardena, California, where Theron was employed by Northrop, and their son, Terry, was born.

Wanting to move from the crowded L.A. area, Theron found employment with Aero Spacelines in Santa Barbara, and the family moved and bought a home here in 1969. Theron continued in the aircraft industry until his retirement in 1982. He then spent a lot of time at his work bench in the garage fixing and repairing things from watches to automobiles, helping both family and friends with various projects until ill health overtook him.

He was a member of Good Shepherd Lutheran Church in Goleta and faithfully participated in various activities there. He is survived by his devoted wife of 68 years, Irene, son Terry Hampton, daughter Sheryl (Bill Neely), granddaughters Jessica and Juliana Neely, and sister Verla Uptegrove. A graveside ceremony will take place on Wednesday, June 1, at Goleta Cemetery at 11 AM. A celebration of his life will be held at a later date at Good Shepherd Lutheran Church. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Visiting Nurse and Hospice Care, Sarah House, and to the Good Shepherd Lutheran Church Youth Group.

Hanks, Donald Gene

Donald Gene Hanks died July 18, 2010.  He was born in Jonesboro, Louisiana to Mathew Ernest and Maye Hanks. He moved to Pasadena, California as a child and graduated from George Washington High School in 1950. He joined the United States Army in 1952 and served in the Korean War as part of the 17th Infantry Regiment as a Signal Message Clerk at the Regiment Headquarters. He was discharged honorably in 1954 after two years of active service.

In 1957 Donald graduated from Pasadena City College and received an Associates Degree. He was hired by the Jet Propulsion Laboratory that same year and had a long 40 year career working for various military and civilian projects including the Viking Mission to Mars, a UAV project called Aquila, a computerized Army battle commander training simulation called the Corps Battle Simulation and the Cassini Mission to Saturn. Donald retired from the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in 1997 and lived in Santa Clarita, California until his death.

Donald is survived by his present wife, Jill, first wife Frances Anne (Nancy), four sons, Patrick, Andrew, David and Michael and 9 grandchildren.

Hanlin, James Ervin

James Ervin Hanlin died February 2, 2004 in Fairbury, Nebraska.  Burial was in Fairbury Cemetery, Fairbury, Nebraska.

He was born August 25, 1928 to William Wilbur and Mae F. Goeury, near Geneva, Nebraska. He had three brothers: William Eugene, Robert Moses, and John Wesley, and three sisters: Margaret, Doris Louise, and Ruth Ann. Doris and Robert both died in infancy.

He served in the U.S. Army during the Korean Conflict from May 16, 1951 to February 16, 1953. He fought at "Old Baldy."

On March 7, 1953, he married Pauline Rudiger in Clay Center, Nebraska. They had five children, Dorothy, Jayne, Judy, Terry and Paul. They divorced in 1974.  He married Viola Scherling on August 3, 1975 in Fairbury. Viola's children were Rodney and Theresa.

He was employed as head meat cutter at Safeway. Later in life he was employed at the Endicott Clay Products until his retirement. He enjoyed fishing and camping.

Hansen, Milton Warrington

Milton Warrington Hansen, born 11 May 1931 in Bear River City, Utah.  Died 13 February 2006 in Pioche, NV.  He served on the USS Oriskany as a plane captain.

Hansen, Wallace C.

I have been trying to do some research to see if there are any photos of my father (Wallace C. Hansen) from his service days. He was a Korean War veteran and his years of service were 1951- 1955.  I believe he trained in Biloxi, Mississippi at Kessler's Air Force Base. He passed away on 8/14/90 from cancer. My brother had all of the family photos, but they were destroyed many years ago in a house fire. I was hoping to find a picture of my father in his service uniform that I thought perhaps the Air Force Base may have had from graduation. I have been unsuccessful locating any pictures at all. Can you please post his name and date of death to your website? Thank you.


Harkless, Donald M.

Donald Melvin Harkless, 75, of Wheeling, WV, died Thursday, November 20, 2008, in Ohio Valley Medical Center.

He was born May 22, 1933, in Carroll County, Ohio, son of the late Harry P. and Anna May Burriss Harkless.  Mr. Harkless was retired from the C&P Telephone Company.  He was a four year Councilman in Valley Grove, WV, and was a manger of Clearwater Travel Resort, Clearwater, FL. He was a U.S. Army Korean War Veteran.

In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his son, Douglas, and his step-mother Soprona Harkless.

Surviving are his wife, Martha Mae McCormick Harkless; a son, Donald Bradley Harkless and his wife, Beverly of Mt. Olivet; a daughter, Charlene L. Eames and her husband, Keith of Dover, OH; two granddaughters, Charlea Ebert and her husband, Brad, and Donni Lehew and her husband, Donald all of Mt. Olivet; four great-grandchildren, Donald Dean Lehew, Karson Payne Ebert, Emmylea Dianne Lehew, and Kurstin Everly Ebert; a brother, Greg Harkless of Delroy, OH; four sisters, Esther Capper, Kay Elifritz and her husband, Bill all of Delroy, OH; Jean Elifritz and her husband, Jim of Leavittesville; and Jean Ann Bradford and her husband, Don of Wheeling; a step-grandson, Josh Price; and step-great-grandchildren, Austin, Ella and Gina Price.

Friends were received 2-4 and 6-8 p.m. Monday, November 24, 2008, at the Kepner Funeral Home, 166 Kruger Street, Elm Grove, Wheeling, where services were held on Tuesday, November 25, 2008, at 1 p.m. with the Reverend Debbie Dague officiating. Interment was in Halcyon Hills Memorial Gardens, Sherrard, WV.

Personal condolences may be offered to the family at

Harmon, Harold Williams "Curly"

AIKEN, S.C. - Mr. Harold Williams (Curly) Harmon (Captain, US Navy Ret.), 80, died Sunday, March 9, 2008 at his residence. He had been a resident of Aiken since 1957.

Mr. Harmon was born in Lexington, South Carolina, a son of the late George Lee Harmon, Sr. and Catherine Ann Harmon. Funeral services were held at St. Paul Lutheran Church with Pastor Robert T. Byrne officiating. Entombment followed at Southlawn Mausoleum with full Military Honors.

Harold served a hitch in the Navy during the ending days of World War II. When he got out, he went to college, earned a degree, and was commissioned an Ensign in the Navy. He was a gunnery officer on the USS New Jersey BB-62, serving off the coast of Korea. A gun turret exploded, damaging one of his ears, ending his active duty as a Lieutenant (JG) in the Navy. He remained in the Navy Reserves, retiring as a Naval Captain.

He was employed as an Engineer with E.I. Dupont at the SRS.  He was a member of St. Paul Lutheran Church, charter member of the Sgt. Harold F. Adkison Korean War Veterans Association Chapter 255, Naval Reserve Officers Association, VFW, and the American Legion.  He served as a 1st Vice President of the KWVA Chapter and was a Trustee from the Chapter to the Department of South Carolina. He was chairman of the Korean War Memorial Committee of the CSRA. The beautiful black granite memorial in Augusta, Georgia, is a monument to his fine leadership.

Survivors include his wife, Retha Black Harmon; two daughters, Melinda Gay Harmon, Charleston, SC, Cindy (Ted) Groomes, Aiken, SC; one son, Michael W. Harmon, Aiken, SC; one grandchild, Sela McGee Groomes; one sister, Betty Harmon Powell, Lexington, SC; one brother, George Lee Harmon, Jr., Lexington, SC.

Memorials may be directed to St. Paul Lutheran Church, Harold Harmon Memorial Fund, 961 Trailridge Rd., Aiken, SC 29803.

Harrald, Van D. Sr.

Van D. Harrald, Sr.
Called home to be with the Lord
Monday, September 07, 2009

Born in Abbott, AR on May 26, 1934, Van was the middle son of five children born to Doyne and Rose Harrald. He learned to be tough and work hard at a young age, whether it was carrying water on his uncle’s farm for fifty cents an hour, bagging coal for five cents a bag, or digging and selling worms for ten dollars for 2000. At 17 he joined the Navy and served his country bravely in the Korean War on the USS Carmick DMS 33.

He completed his Navy service when he turned 21 and by the age of 22 he met and married the love of his life, Pat Strupith. For fifty-three years they worked hard and raised their children to love God by daily example and faithful service at the North Edwards First Baptist Church in California. Van became a machinist/electrician for the U.S. Borax Company located in Boron, California, where he retired in 1996 after 39 years as one of the famous “20 mules.”

He had a fondness for golfing, guitar-playing and CB radios. He was well known as the “local talent” where he volunteered to provide music through playing the guitar and singing at many local functions and at church. Van was also known for his creativity. When he was young he built a two-wheel cart and strapped it to his sturdy dog, Troubles, to haul his two-year old sister around. In the Navy, he didn’t care much for the dungarees, so he sewed bells into his blue-jeans. Through the years in Boron, his creativity was seen in many ways, most notably by his “Guit-jo” (combination guitar and banjo) and his home-made “Mo-ped” (conglomerate of bicycle parts and a battery).

He was 75 years old when he succumbed to cancer and is survived by his wife of 53 years, his four children, ten grandchildren, and eleven great-grandchildren. He is also survived by one brother and two sisters.

A memorial service was held on September 10, 2009 at 11:00 a.m. at the First Southern Baptist Church of North Edwards, California. A military funeral will be held at the Bakersfield National Cemetery upon the return of his grandson from serving our country in the war on terror.

Harrawood, Donald E.

Col. Donald E. Harrawood (USAF Ret.), 84, of Fort Myers died peacefully April 28, 2010 at Hope Hospice. Born in Illinois, Don was the son of the late Emma and Floyd Harrawood. He entered the Army Air Corps in 1945 and served faithfully for over 33 years, retiring in 1977 as a Colonel in the United States Air Force. As a member of the greatest generation, Don served in WWII, Korea and Vietnam. His distinguished career earned him numerous decorations and commendations including three Legions of Merit.

He is survived by his wife of 62 years, Catherine, daughters, Valerie and Kimberly and son, David, 6 grandchildren, 5 great grandchildren and 1great great grandchild. A Memorial Service will be held Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 3:00 PM at Iona Hope Episcopal Church, 9650 Gladiolus Drive, Ft. Myers. Friends are invited to a reception following the service at Cypress Lakes Country Club. In lieu of flowers, the family request memorials be made to Hope Hospice, 9470 Health Park Circle, Ft. Myers, FL 33908.

Harris, Charles A.

Charles A. Harris 79, of Nelsonville, passed away June 19, 2011, at Arcadia Acres Nursing Home Logan. Charles was born November 13, 1931 in Longstreth, to Edward and Gladys Harris. He was an Army veteran and served in the Korean War where he received three Silver Stars, retired in 1987 after 39 years in forestry and attended the Longstreth Community Church.

Surviving are daughters Christi (Kevin) Viggiano of Stewart and Tammy (Mike) Gaffney of Blanchester, sons Charles (Kendra) Wilson of Logan, and David Wilson of Logan, seven grandchildren; two great-grandchildren, brother Lester (Faye) Harris of Nelsonville, and sisters Kathryn Herrold of Nelsonville and Janet (Richard) Brown of Amesville.

Harrison, John T. Jr.

John T. Harrison Jr., died Sunday, May 18, 2008, in New York City after a period of failing health.  Born in Concord, New Hampshire, on June 28, 1931, to John T. Harrison Sr. and Mary (Hardiman) Harrison, originally of County Mayo, Ireland, John graduated from UNH and was a Korean War veteran awarded two bronze stars for his service.  A world traveler and entrepreneur, John lived in multiple locales including New York City, Alaska, and Ecuador, where he owned a banana plantation.

In 1964, John married Brenda Holland and worked as a self-employed international food broker for such companies as Wrigley and Kellogg.  John and Brenda raised their daughters in Chicago, Highland Park, and Lincolnshire, Illinois.  After his wife's death in 1994, John retired to the East Coast to enjoy boating.

John is survived by his three daughters: Cailin Harrison and her husband Andrew Holmes of London, United Kingdom; Megan Cevasco and her husband Christopher of Brooklyn, New York; and Alana Harrison of Brooklyn; one grandchild, Harrison Cevasco; five sisters; and many nieces and nephews.  Services will be held in August at the Blossom Hill Cemetery in Concord, New Hampshire.  Memorial donations may be made to the Ocean Conservancy, 1300 19th Street NW, 8th Floor, Washington DC 20036.

Harrod, Carroll D.

Carroll D. Harrod, 88, died February 1, 2010, at his home. He was born in Grand Ledge, Mich., and lived in Vero Beach for 14 years, coming from Elk Rapids, Michigan. He attended DePauw University in Greencastle, Indiana, and later attended General Motors Technical Institute in Flint, Michigan Before retirement, he was employed with the GMC Oldsmobile Division as National Owner Relations Manager and later as the Chicago Zone Business Management Manager. Upon leaving General Motors, he entered the real estate business and was employed by Key Reality Inc. in Grand Ledge.

He served in the Army during World War II and the Korean War and was awarded the Silver Star with cluster, Purple Heart with cluster, the Bronze Star and Prisoner of War Medal.  Captain Harrod was Battalion Liaison officer in the 49th Field Artillery Battalion when he was captured by the Chinese north of Hoengsong, Korea on February 22, 1951.  He later escaped and was returned to US military control on March 12, 1951.

He was a member of First Presbyterian Church of Vero Beach. He was a member of the Retired Officers Association and a life member of Disabled American Veterans Association and the Masonic Lodge 179 F&AM Grand Ledge.

Survivors include his wife, Mary Ann; daughters, Carol Lee Broker of Woodstock, Illinois, Catherine Ann Draper of Tucson, Arizona, and Christine Mary Sims of Phoenix; son, Steven Paul Harrod of Grand Rapids, Michigan; stepdaughter, Anne Lynch of Lake Placid; stepson, Robert Howenstine of St. Simon's Island, Georgia; 12 grandchildren; and 16 great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his first wife, Dorothy, in 1972.

A memorial service will be at 11 a.m. February 4 at the First Presbyterian Church, Vero Beach with Dr. G. Timothy Womack and the Rev. Dr. George Earnshaw officiating. Interment will be in Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia. Arrangements are by Strunk Funeral Home and Crematory in Vero Beach.

Hartzel, Charles J.

Our father and husband died on June 14, 1987, in Pensacola, Florida.  He was a veteran of World War II and Korea.  He served in the Pacific Theater of operations from December 7, 1941 to July 1, 1944.  He was attached to Company E, 34th Infantry Regiment, 24th Infantry Division.  He fought in campaigns in New Guinea, where he and some of his men were cut off from their company. He and his men stood their ground and fought off Japanese attacks while securing the position they had been ordered to take and hold. He did this without the loss of a single man.  He was awarded the Bronze Star for this action. After the New Guinea campaign, he took part in the invasion of Leyte.  He returned home in 1945.

In 1952 our Dad was again asked to go to war when he was assigned to the 176th Armored Field Artillery, Battery C, Pennsylvania National Guard. After Korea he came home to his family and tried to lead as normal a life as possible. He retired from the US ARMY in 1961 with 20 years of service. During that time he was awarded the following citations:

  • Bronze Star Medal (while assigned to the 34th Infantry regiment, 24th Infantry Division, on or about 15 February 1945)
  • Combat Infantryman Badge
  • Good Conduct Medal with 3 Loops
  • American Defense Service Medal with Clasp
  • World War II Victory Medal
  • Asiatic Pacific Theater Medal with 2 service stars
  • Korean Service Medal with 3 service stars
  • Republic of Korea Presidential Citation
  • Meritorious Unit Citation
  • National Defense Service Medal
  • United nations Service Medal

He was truly a hero, as all men and women who went through and suffered the pains of war are. To paraphrase a saying from the Greatest Generation, "When these men and women arrive in heaven and meet St Peter, they can truly say, 'Another warrior reporting, Sir.  I have served my time in hell.'"  May they all find comfort and rest in peace.

Sincerely, the sons of Charles J. Hartzel

Hastings, Kester Lovejoy

Kester Lovejoy Hastings was born in Lewiston, Idaho, March 20, 1897. He graduated from the U.S. Military Academy on November 1, 1918, and was appointed as a Second Lieutenant of Infantry. His first assignment was with the Infantry Machine Gun Center at Camp Hancock, Georgia.

He joined the Third Infantry Division with the Army of Occupation in Germany and in 1919 and later was tasked to settle World War I claims in Paris. In 1920, he became a senior instructor for the first West Point Preparatory School at Camp Grant, Illinois and later was assigned to duty as an adjutant at Fort Wayne, Michigan.

From 1925-26, Hastings was a student at the Signal School. He then joined the Fourth Infantry at Fort Wright, Spokane, Washington. In 1929, he was transferred to the 27th Infantry where he commanded the machine gun company until he became adjutant at Kilauea Military Camp, Hawaii. He later was assistant provost marshal for the Hawaiian Department.

From 1931-32, he was a student at the Quartermaster School at Philadelphia. He was then assigned to the Army Medical Center in Washington, DC. He was transferred to the Quartermaster Corps August 15, 1934.

Hastings graduated from the Army Industrial College in 1936 and from the Command and General Staff School in 1937. He then was assigned to Fort Douglas Utah and the Ogden Ordnance Depot as a construction Quartermaster. In the fall of 1940, he joined the Construction Division, Office of the Quartermaster General, where he was in charge of the operational construction of camps and industrial facilities in the United States.

In October 1941, Hastings was appointed assistant to the quartermaster at the Army War College. In March 1942, became executive officer of the Personnel Division in the Office of the Quartermaster General. In January 1944, he was named deputy director of the Military Personal Branch of the Personnel Division and in January 1947, was designated chief of the Personal and Training Division in that office. During 1948, he was placed in charge of the Memorial Division.

In May 1949, General Hastings became Quartermaster of the Far East Command and was stationed in Tokyo, Japan. During the Korean War he was responsible for planning air drop of supplies to beleaguered Allied troops, oversaw the return of remains of servicemen and expedited the the supply of food, clothing, petroleum and other materials to the combat forces. He was awarded the Silver Star for personal gallantry in Korea. His citation for this award reads:

BG Kester L. Hastings, QM of the Far East Command was recently awarded the Silver Star for gallantry in action during the early stages of the Korean Campaign. In the words of the citation, General Hastings "voluntarily, and with complete disregard for his safety, made daring trips through areas under constant guerilla attack to obtain an accurate estimate of the situation vital to solving many complex problems that occur in logistical support during such critical periods. His presence in the forward areas under constant threat of enemy air attack and fire inspired personnel of the Quartermaster Corps to greater achievements and was a contributing factor in resolving supply problems, thus aiding united Nations' forces in the subsequent launching of a counteroffensive. General Hastings through his valor and tireless devotion to duty, reflected great credit on himself and upheld the highest traditions of the military service." - From QM Review Magazine, January-February 1951 Personnel notes, Page 64

In October 1952, he was named as the Deputy Quartermaster General. General Hastings became Quartermaster General on February 5, 1954. He retired after 38 year of service in 1957 at the end of his tour as Quartermaster General.

Major General Hastings died on May 31, 1983 and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery in Section 30 Site 530 Rh.

Hastings, Lewis

Lewis E. "Gene" Hastings was born on January 21, 1934, and left this earth for heaven on Tuesday, January 27, 2015. God gave him a very full and enriching 81 years of life.

Gene was the son of Charles and Vivian Cronkhite, who both preceded him in death. Also preceding him in death were two wives: Betty, to whom he was married 10 years, and Mary, to whom he was married a total of 43 years. Gene and Mary lost their first child, Michael, when he was three months old.

Surviving Gene was a family who loved him very much. He and Mary had three surviving children, Linda (Greg) Scott, Dave (Susan) Hastings and Scott (Kelly) Hastings. From those children there are seven grandchildren, Joshua (Kayla) Copas, Jennifer (Andy) Jones, Kyle (Hannah) Hastings, Kirk (Ameillia) Hastings, Koby Hastings, Alex Hastings and Jory (William) Gosnell. From these grandchildren there are five great-grandchildren, Gage, Gatlin, Delilah, Daphne and Kayden. A sixth great-grandchild is expected in March of this year. Gene is also survived by a sister, Sandra, and several nieces and nephews.

In 1951, Gene graduated from Danville High School and shortly thereafter joined the U.S. Air Force during the Korean War. He went to boot camp at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas, then was stationed at Lowry Air Force Base in Denver to become a radar specialist for the F94C aircraft. As Gene would often say, "Our job was to keep the Communists out of our airspace, and if they tried to enter our airspace my radar was going to help shoot their butts out of the sky." Much of the testing of this new radar system was conducted at Cape Cod at the Otis Air Force Base. Gene was very humbled and proud of his service to our country and received an honorable discharge as an airman first class.

After his military service, Gene went to work at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Danville where he was a nursing assistant for eight years. He used that job as an opportunity to wait for his real passion as a master electrician in the maintenance department of the VA. All who ever worked with him admired his meticulous attention to detail in his job. He served in this capacity for 33 years until his retirement in 1991.

Gene had many passions throughout life, most of which he shared with his family and his many friends. In earlier years he was an avid fisherman, on the bank waiting on the big catfish or in the boat hoping for the largemouth bass. He was a legend at card playing, amazing friends with his tricks, especially the famous "Little Joe." His poker buddies would bemoan him winning their money, of which the earnings usually paid for his entire year of golf memberships at local courses.

Speaking of golf, few people in the world can ever say they had a hole-in-one. Gene had four! He was perennially one of the best players at the Veterans Hospital Course, almost always winning the employee league he started and organized, as well as representing the course at annual interclub contests between local courses. But of all the golf accolades, his most proud was the thousands of hours spent on the course with his father and two sons. As Scott so aptly puts it, "The man could hit a flop shot with any club in the bag."

On a cold winter evening, just after Christmas in 2006, Gene gave his life to Jesus Christ. He and his father were baptized together that night. Since then Gene always believed that his hope of eternity rested in the forgiveness of Jesus. He now enjoys that gift. Gene was a member of the Second Church of Christ in Danville and the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of the State of Illinois.

Memorials may be made to Baptist Health Foundation - Palliative Care Fund, 4000 Kresge Way, Louisville, KY 40207-9897. A celebration of life will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 31, at Sunset Funeral Home and Cremation Center, a life celebration home in Danville. Burial will follow in Sunset Memorial Park.

Hatcher, George

George Hatcher passed away on December 15, 2004.

Hausmann, Charles J.

Charles J. Hausmann, 81, of Urbana, formerly of Sullivan, died 5:30 p.m. Thursday (January 19, 2012) in the Champaign County Nursing Home, Urbana.

Mass of the Christian Burial will be 10:00 a.m. Tuesday at the St. Columcille Catholic Church, Sullivan with Fr. John Sohm celebrant. Rite of Committal and Burial will be in the St. Isidore Cemetery, Bethany with military rites conducted by the Sullivan American Legion Post #68. Visitation will be from 5 - 7 p.m. Monday at the Reed Funeral Home, Sullivan with a prayer service at 7 p.m. Memorials are suggested to the donor’s choice.

Mr. Hausmann was born January 7, 1931 in Tuscola, Illinois, the son of George and Louise Karcher Hausmann. Charlie was a retired farmer and along with his wife, Ruth Ann, they owned and operated the Sears Catalog Store in Sullivan for many years. He was a member of the St. Columcille Catholic Church, and had been a member of the Sullivan Ambucs, the Tuscola Pinochle Club and the Arthur Group.

Charlie was an Army veteran serving from 1952 until he was injured in 1953 in Korea as Sgt. 1C with the Tuscola unit, Company 3, 123rd Infantry, 44th Division of the Illinois National Guard.

Charlie married Ruth Ann Odum on December 26, 1953 in Tuscola and she preceded him in death on August 12, 1998. He then married Dorothy Morris on July 8, 2000 in Monticello, IL and she survives. Also surviving is his daughter, Leanne (Tom) Fitzgerald of Bethany; grandsons, J. C. (Sarah) Fitzgerald of Lovington, Dr. Ryan Fitzgerald of Akron, OH; great-granddaughter, Ellie Fitzgerald; sisters, Irma (Ray) Wait of Urbana, Joan (Bob) Alkire of Phoenix, AZ, Paulette (John) Kavadas of Manchester, MO; sister-in-law, Nancy Boros of Hilton Head, SC; step-children, Mike (Joy) Morris of Monticello, Richard Morris of Franklin, TN, Connie (Dave) Thompson of Monticello, Kathy (Pat) Weber of Monticello; step-grandchildren, Megan (Devin) Shelton of Champaign, Paul Thompson of Monticello, Tyler Weber of Monticello, Justin Weber of Monticello, Brooke (Rory) Wright of Monticello, Paul (Kali) Loggins of Champaign, Anjanette and Nicolas Loggins, both of Champaign; step great-granddaughter, Carolina Shelton.

He was preceded in death by his parents, wife, Ruth Ann, brother Marcian and an infant brother, George.

Havelaar, Marion H. "Curly"

Marion H. "Curly" Havelaar, 86, LTC., U.S.A.F. Retired, passed away July 26, 2010 after a long battle with cancer. He passed peacefully at his home in Arlington, Texas surrounded by his wife Patsy and close family members.

Marion and Patsy were married 66 years ago in Ardmore, Oklahoma while Marion was in training before being deployed to fly combat missions for the U.S. Army Air Corps during WWII. Marion served in the U.S. Army Air Corp during WWII and later with the U.S. Air Force during the Korean War and during the Vietnam War. He served his country for 29 years before retiring as a Lt. Col. with the U.S. Air Force. His career was long and illustrious including assignments flying B-17 and B-29 combat missions in Europe during WWII and over Korea during the Korean War. His career included assignments flying F-89 and F-101 fighter interceptors while with the Air Defense Command from the 1950's through the 1960's.

Heckelman, Theodore H. "Ted"

Theodore (Ted) H. Heckelman, age 79 of Bellingham, Washington is at home with the Lord. He passed on Saturday May 23, 2009 at St. Joseph Hospital with his loving family at his side.

Ted was born June 25th 1929 in Norwalk, Ohio to the late Henry and Ella (Aust) Heckelman. He grew up attending local schools there, where at an early age he met the love of his life Shirley Oberg. In spite of that early distraction, Ted joined the U.S. Marine Corps in 1948. He was a member of the 1st Provisional Marine Division, 1st Marine Brigade, serving in major battles in the Korean War. He fought courageously while in Korea with many meritorious efforts, but most notably at the murderous battle of Chosin Reservoir. Ted received two bronze stars with V for valor, and for his Valor was inducted into the Ohio Military Hall of Fame in April 2008.

Ted married his childhood sweetheart Shirley Oberg in 1951. Following his honorable discharge from the Marine Corps in 1952, he attended college and earned his Bachelors of Science degree in business accounting. A devoted family and business man, he worked for Chrysler Corporation for 31 years. Ted was key in establishing the nationwide network of Chrysler Parts Depots, moving his family endlessly in that pursuit prior to his retirement from Chrysler in 1985.

Arriving in Bellingham in 1990, he continued his life work as Financial Controller for the Lummi Indian Business Council from 1991-1996. Finally retired, his affection for Bellingham and his friends only increased. He faithfully served as Santa Claus each Christmas from his lighted and festive home on James St. Court, distributing candy canes and Christmas blessings to countless children and families. Ted enjoyed gardening and yard work, playing bingo and solitaire, local casinos, and traveling cross-country with his family. He had friends all over the country and enjoyed keeping in touch with them. Ted loved his country as a very proud Marine and American, but especially loved his family and the Lord. He enjoyed life and never took it for granted.

Ted is survived by his wife of 58 years and family – daughters and husbands, Jodi and Scott Stewart of Norwalk, Ohio, Jill and John Lettow of Wasilla, Alaska, grandsons Jonathan and Jacob Lettow of Wasilla, brother and wife Tom and Nancy Heckelman of Norwalk, Ohio, and sister JoAnn Flew of Norwalk, Ohio. He was proceeded in death by his parents and sister Edith Heckelman.

A memorial service took place at Jern’s Funeral Chapel at 1 PM on Wednesday May 27, 2009.  Memorial contributions may be made to the “Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund” at or similar charity of your choice.

Hedges, William R. "Bill"

Funeral service for LTC (Retired) William R. “Bill” Hedges, 94, Lawton, Oklahoma, will be 10:00 a.m. Friday, October 18, in the Becker-Rabon Funeral Home Chapel with Rev. Leonard Reimer, Chaplain, Promise Care Hospice officiating.  Burial with full military honors will be in Sunset Memorial Gardens.

Colonel Hedges died Monday, October 14, 2013 at his residence. He was born January 13, 1919 in Bradley, Oklahoma, to Frank E. and Esther Lee (Yates) Hedges. He married Geneva Monkres on November 9, 1940 at Anadarko. She preceded him in death on February 12, 1984. He later married Dorothy Makowski on September 5, 1991 in Lawton.

He enlisted in the Chickasha Unit of the 45th Infantry Division in 1935 and served throughout World War II with that unit. He enlisted in the regular army in 1946 and received a battlefield commission in 1950 while in Korea with the 2nd Division. He was awarded the Silver Star and two Bronze Stars for gallantry and valor as well as the Army Commendation Medal. He also earned the American Defense Service Medal, World War II Victory Medal, Korean Service Medal with 5 campaigns, Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation Badge, Presidential Unit Citation, European African Middle Eastern Campaign Medal, National Defense Service Medal, United Nations Service Medal, Army of Occupation Medal and the Armed Forces Reserve Medal. He retired from the U.S. Army as a Major in 1963 after 27 years of service and later retired as a LTC from the U.S. Army Reserves in 1973. In 1985 he retired from Federal Civil Service with the U.S. Army Reserve Center on Cache Road.

He was a life member of the 45th Infantry Division Association, VFW Post 5263 and the DAV. He enjoyed golf and attending OU Football games.

He is survived by his wife, of the home; a daughter, Catherine Lynn Abercrombie and husband Don, Lawton; a step daughter, Kimberly Hotella and husband Vernon, Cache; two grandchildren, Erin Darché and husband Luke, Biloxi, Mississippi, and Marc Abercrombie, Irving, Texas; a great grandson, Jackson Darché; two step grandchildren, Ashley Johnson and husband Derek, Cache, and Jeremy Smith, Oklahoma City; four step great grandchildren, Landon and Layne Johnson and Keeley and Zayden Smith.  A son, Larry Nathan Hedges, preceded him in death.

Memorial contributions may be made to the OU Football Scholarship Fund, VFW Post 5263 or Promise Care Hospice.

Hems, Fred Bennett

Fred Bennett Hems, Sr. age 81, BHS Class of ’48, went to meet his heavenly Father on June 24th, 2012, after a long illness, with his much loved family at his side.  He was absolutely devoted to his wife and children.

Surviving him is his soul mate, his friend, his beloved wife to whom he would have been married for 60 years this August 10th, retired L.P.N., Irene Anna Larrisey Hems and their children; Cathy Ann Shull [Christopher], Fred Bennett Hems, Jr., Wayne Richard Hems, Sr. [Nancy], all of Bristol; Jane H. Dugan [Leonard] of Monroeton, PA, and Renee H. Hems of Croydon. Also surviving are his brother, WWII and Korean 6th Marine Corps division veteran Roland J. Hems of Bristol .

He will be sorely missed by his grandchildren; Amy True Weber, Rose Hems Buckingham, Erin Dugan Borick, Jenna Hems, Kelly Dugan Hartigan, Jenna Hems, Haley Schools, Chelsea Schools, and his ten great-grandchildren.

Fred was preceded in death by his two brothers, Ellsworth C. Hems (twin) and Elwood A. Hems; a sister, June Smith; a grandson, Wayne Hems Jr.; and his much loved son-in-law, Lucio DeVito, MD.

Marine Corporal Fred was known as a “live wire” and for his teamwork, discipline, leadership and good sportsmanship. Machine gunner “Freddie B” was a Purple Heart and Bronze Star Medal with Combat “V” recipient for heroic achievement and conspicuous gallantry, a U.S. Marine Corps veteran of the 6th Task Fleet and Cold War 58 –59 veteran. He valiantly earned a Korean Service Medal and a National Defense Service Medal, and a Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation. Fred was most proud of his USMC Sharpshooter Rifle Badge and of being an Eagle Scout, the highest advancement rank in Scouting. He was also a longtime member of the American Legion.

After the Korean War, Fred joined the Army Reserves in Bristol and at the Nike Mission Base.
He was a Bristol Borough water meter reader for 27 years after achieving a G.I. Bill apprentice position as a Levittown Times printer's devil and compositor.

Fred first saw the young Irene, his future wife while she was working at the Mill Street “Strauss” soda fountain and said to himself, “I’m going to marry that girl!”

Fred and Irene, both open-heart surgery patients, shared their joint hobby of researching history books, scouring graveyards and piecing together history, and especially of his unrelenting endorsement to “Thank the Veteran”, as he selflessly boosted Bristol Borough.

“Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy, forget in time that men have died to win them.”
Franklin D. Roosevelt

He had a real passion for serving his community and it was the simple things around him in life that he never took for granted. At one time, Fred campaigned for a Borough Council position as the “Working Man’s Friend” and he was most “instrumental” in securing the $20,000 grant to revive the Bracken “Cavaliers” Junior Drum and Bugle Cadet Corps.

The Fred B. Hems family sincerely thanks the Helping Hands and First Light and his tireless caretakers, his son, Fred B., Jr.; daughter, Cathy Ann, and granddaughter, Amy.

Fred was a man of strong faith and firmly believed in the power and strength and the beauty and peace that would await him after his passing. He lived and died in a small town, where everybody knows your name, and Corporal Fred B. Hems has left an indelible mark, a legacy for his family and those that come after.

“Be sincere; be brief; be seated”. Franklin D. Roosevelt

Relatives and friends are invited to his funeral service at 10 a.m. on Friday, June 29 at the Carter Funeral Home, 314 Cedar St., Bristol, where the viewing will begin at 7 p.m. Thursday. Interment will be in Bristol Cemetery. Carter Funeral Home, Bristol.

Henderson, Frank E. "Rudy"

HILL CITY- Frank E. “Rudy” Henderson died peacefully on December 28, 2012. A passionate and larger-than-life figure, he influenced his family, the military, the law, and the State of South Dakota for over eight decades.

Justice Henderson was born in Miller, South Dakota on April 7, 1928 to Frank Henderson II, a railroad worker, and Hilda Bogstad Henderson, a recent immigrant from Norway. He grew to be a three sport letterman for the Miller Rustlers and All-State athlete in basketball, football and track. He attended the University of South Dakota on a basketball scholarship where he also competed in track and field and football. He was a member of Phi Delta Theta fraternity. He completed law school at USD, then immediately left to serve in the United States Army.

The Korean War was to have a profound impact on Justice Henderson. He served as an officer, and never forgot the pain of a war which left many of his troops behind. He received a Bronze Star.  He remained a strong patriot throughout life, with ties to the American Legion, the Disabled American Veterans, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Upon his return from Korea, Henderson began law practice in Rapid City where he was a trial attorney for several years. Later, he moved his office to Hill City where the Henderson family came to reside. He twice served as State Senator for Pennington County, and served as a U.S. Commissioner. In the seventies, Henderson became a Circuit Court Judge. As Judge, he sat on the benches of Pennington, Custer and Fall River Counties. In 1979, Judge Henderson became Justice Henderson, ascending to the South Dakota Supreme Court where he dedicated himself to highest standards of legal research in rendering decisions, several of which were cited by the U.S. Supreme Court.

Justice Henderson experienced many professional and personal associations with the native peoples of South Dakota for whom he championed just and equitable treatment. One of his proudest life honors bestowed upon him was honorary membership in the Lakota Tribe.

“The Judge” loved working horses and cattle, and particularly loved Appaloosa horses. People travelling through the Black Hills in spring and summer often stopped to watch flashily colored Appaloosa colts cavorting in his pastures, and he enthusiastically told them about this passion. He was also expressive about the beauty of the Black Hills and felt forever blessed by his ranch, the Hills, and the great state of South Dakota.

Most of all, Henderson appreciated his kind and capable wife, Norma Jean Henderson, with whom he was married for fifty-six years, and the family they raised. Frank and Norma's eight children are Frank, Kimberly, Patrick, Andrea, Eric, John, Anastasia, and Matthew. The Hendersons have twenty-two grandchildren and five great-grandchildren. Frank Henderson was a faithful and reverent man, expressly grateful to God for family and the diverse opportunities given him to serve God’s creation. Justice Henderson lived to the age of eighty-four.

Visitation will be from 3-5:00 p.m. Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at Saint Rose of Lima Catholic Church in Hill City. Christian Wake Service with a Rosary will be at 5:00 p.m. at the church.  Christian Burial Mass will be offered at 10:00 a.m., Wednesday, January 2, at Saint Rose of Lima Catholic Church with Rev. Timothy Castor presiding. Interment will be at the Hill City Cemetery with military honors provided by the TREA Honor Guard and the South Dakota Army National Guard. Memorial donations may be made to the Henderson Hill City Scholarship Fund and the DAV Transportation Fund.

Hendrix, Marvin Raye

Marvin Hendrix, who served with 3/5 Marines in Korea, passed away from cancer in 1980 and is resting in Milledgeville, GA.  He was in Korea from 1950 until 1952, according to his family.

Hernandez, Rudy (MOH Recipient)

Cpl. Rudy Hernandez, a son of California migrant workers who fought in the Korean War and was awarded the Medal of Honor in 1952, died Saturday at Womack Army Medical Center in Fayetteville, North Carolina. He was 82 and had been diagnosed recently with cancer and other ailments.

Hernandez, a fixture at Fayetteville veterans events, was grand marshal of the city's Veterans Day Parade last month. In August, Fort Bragg's Warrior Transition Battalion Complex was rededicated in his name.

It was just after 2 a.m. on May 31, 1951, when Corporal Hernandez felt the warm trickle of blood from a shrapnel wound on his head. Hernandez and other soldiers of Company G, 187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team were holding defensive positions on a hill near the Korean town of Wontong-mi, during a North Korean assault.  From their foxhole, Hernandez and another soldier watched as the enemy approached and the night erupted in artillery, mortar and machine-gun fire.

As the rest of his platoon retreated after nearly exhausting their ammunition, Hernandez and his foxhole mate held their position and kept firing. When he finally did leave the foxhole, Hernandez charged the enemy armed only with a grenade and a rifle with a fixed bayonet. His bravery stopped the enemy advance and spurred his fellow soldiers to counterattack.

According to his Medal of Honor citation, "The indomitable fighting spirit, outstanding courage and tenacious devotion to duty clearly demonstrated by Corporal Hernandez reflect the highest credit on himself, the infantry, and the United States Army."

The morning after the attack, Hernandez was presumed dead after being found lying among the bodies of six North Korean soldiers who had been killed. When a soldier saw a slight movement of Hernandez's hand, medics began frantically trying to save his life. A month later, Hernandez would wake up in a South Korean hospital. Eight weeks later, he was sent to Letterman Hospital in San Francisco where doctors replaced part of his skull. Hernandez couldn't talk for months after he was injured and had to learn to walk again. Part of his body remained paralyzed.

Hernandez was awarded the Medal of Honor in April 1952 by President Truman in a ceremony held in the White House Rose Garden.

Rodolpho P. Hernandez was born April 14, 1931, in Colton. When he was 17, his parents allowed him to enlist in the Army. After the war he worked as a veterans benefit counselor in Los Angeles and moved to Fayetteville in 1980.

Hernandez's survivors include his wife, Denzil, and three children from an earlier marriage.

Speaking to the Fayetteville Observer in 1986, Hernandez said it was anger that drove him past the pain in Korea. "I was just mad. It's all I could think of. I was hurt bad and getting dizzy. I knew the doctors could not repair the damage. I thought I might as well end it now," Hernandez said. "They gave the order to withdraw, but I didn't. My gun jammed, so I stuck a bayonet in my rifle and threw several grenades from my foxhole. Then I got up and ran out to meet the enemy. "Every time I took a step blood rolled down my face. It was hard to see," he said. "They said I killed six with my bayonet."

Source: Los Angeles Times

Hess, Col. Dean

Retired Air Force Col. Dean Hess, a fighter pilot who helped rescue hundreds of orphans in the Korean War and whose exploits inspired a Hollywood film starring Rock Hudson, has died in Ohio. He was 97. Hess died March 2, 2015, at his home in Huber Heights, a suburb of Dayton, after a short illness, his son Lawrence Hess said.

Hess, an ordained minister, was a U.S. Air Force lieutenant colonel when he helped arrange the evacuation of Korean orphans from their country's mainland to safety on a coastal island, according to the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force.

He was a significant figure in Air Force history, and his efforts to help Korean children are a "shining example" of the Air Force's humanitarian airlift capabilities, museum historian Jeff Underwood said.  "What is less well-known is the instrumental role he played in training the fledgling South Korean Air Force," Underwood said in a statement.

Hudson, one of Hollywood's top leading men, portrayed Hess in the film "Battle Hymn" in 1957.  "Battle Hymn" was also the title of Hess' autobiography. He used the proceeds from the movie and book to build an orphanage in South Korea, his son said. "He was a humble man who loved children and never cashed in on his notoriety," Lawrence Hess said.

A medal presented to Hess by South Korean President Syngman Rhee in 1951 for his service during the war is displayed at the museum near Dayton. Other Hess artifacts there include a flying helmet that he wore in Korea and that Hudson wore in the movie, which also featured Martha Hyer as his wife and Alan Hale Jr. as a mess sergeant.

The museum said Hess and Lt. Col. Russell Blaisdell, a chaplain, devised a plan to transport hundreds of orphans to refuge on the coastal island as part of Operation Kiddy Car. U.S. planes airlifted the children, and the men arranged food, money and clothing contributions for them, the museum said.

Hess was born in Marietta, Ohio, in 1917. When the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor and the United States entered World War II in December 1941, Hess was a pastor with a civilian pilot's license. He joined the Army Air Forces and flew 63 missions in Europe.

In July 1948, Hess received a telegram ordering him back into uniform while he was studying for his doctorate at Ohio State University. He flew 250 combat missions in Korea.  He remained in the military once the war ended, serving at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base near Dayton until he retired in 1969. He then taught high school for five years.

Hess is survived by three sons, a daughter and several grandchildren and great-grandchildren. His wife, Mary, died in 1996.

[Source: Los Angeles Times]

Higgins, Jack

Jack Higgins passed away February 21, 2005.  Funeral mass was held Friday, February 25 at Our Lady of the Cape, Brewster, MA.

Hill, Vaughn Dixon

Born June 30, 1917, Vaughn Dixon Hill died on April 19, 2000.  Services will be at 3 p.m. Saturday in First United Methodist Church with Dr. Robert Allen, pastor, and the Rev. John Dillard, associate pastor, officiating. Burial will be at 3 p.m. Monday in Stratford Cemetery at Stratford by Hampton Vaughan Crestview Funeral Home.

Mr. Hill was born in Lipscomb County, to Melvin Eugene and Hetty Inez Dixon Hill He had worked for Ford Motor Company. He served in the Army Air Corps during World War II, and in the Air force during the Korean War and the Vietnam War.  In 1971, he retired as chief master sergeant and moved to Wichita Falls.

He was a member of the Masonic Lodge, the Retirees Activity Center at Sheppard Air Force Base, and the Sheppard Air Force Association. He had also served as retiree representative at Sheppard Air Force Base hospital. He was a member of First United Methodist Church, Kay Bible Class, and the Intentional Caring Unit.

He married Mary Styles in 1940. He later married Elsie Pearl Spurlock in 1959 at Sunray. She died in 1999.

Survivors include three daughters, Linda Kubeczka of Lufkin, Dianna Gwyn of Santa Fe, N.M., and Alvina Smith of Wichita Falls; a son, Keith Vaughn Hill of Wichita Falls; his stepmother, Mable Inez Hill of Dalhart; a brother, Lynn Hill of Dalhart; a sister Elva Reeves of Dalhart; and four grandchildren.

The family suggests memorials be to Hospice of Wichita Falls, 4909 Johnson Road, Wichita Falls, TX 76308.

Amarillo Daily News
, April 21, 2000

Hill, William O. Jr.

William O. Hill, Jr., 86, of Harbor Creek, Pennsylvania, was honorably discharged into the next life on Monday, August 2, 2010, at the VA Hospital in Erie. He was born on November 12, 1923 in Erie, Pennsylvania to the late William O. Hill, Sr. and Lucy (Owens) Hill.

Bill was a graduate of East High School and volunteered for the U.S. Army upon the bombing of Pearl Harbor. He was initially trained as a combat engineer at Ft. Belvoir, Va., and also successfully completed engineer officer training. Bill was then deployed to North Africa where he and his men successfully fought the famous German "Afrika Korps."

Following combat against Germany, Bill volunteered for a secret mission (code name Galahad) and unknowingly became a "Merrill's Marauder" in the 5307th Composite Unit (Provisional), 2nd BN, I & Plt., BCT under Brigadier General Frank D. Merrill. This special unit was the first U.S. Infantry unit to fight the Japanese in the China-Burma-India Theatre and Bill repeatedly distinguished himself in combat. The Merrill's Marauders were the predecessors to all modern day U.S. Army Rangers and Special Warfare.

Following World War II, Bill returned to the U.S. where he taught Guerilla Warfare and worked counter-intelligence throughout the U.S. and Europe during the "denazification" of Germany and start of the Cold War. As the Korean War broke out, Bill again entered combat as a platoon leader with the 2nd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment (Airborne).

During World War II and the Korean War, Bill was awarded the Silver Star, Bronze Star (with cluster), three Purple Hearts, two Army Commendation Medals, American Defense Medal, American Campaign Medal, European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal (four Battle Stars), Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal (four Battle Stars), World War II Medal, Army of the Occupation of Germany Medal, Korean Service Medal (two Battle Stars), Army Good Conduct Medal, and Chinese Freedom Medal. Bill was also awarded Master Parachute Wings and a Combat Infantrymen's Badge (Three Awards), as well as several Presidential Unit Citations.

Following the Korean War, Bill returned to the U.S. and eventually pursued a successful political career in Erie County Government. Bill was a progressive leader as a County Commissioner, serving from 1963-1978. During his tenure, he was instrumental in the establishment of many county programs, including GECAC, Erie County MH/MR, Rape Crisis, and the Public Defender's Office. Bill fought vigorously to stop pollution in Lake Erie and was also the PA State Fish Commissioner for Region I.

He was the President of the Erie County Prison Board and worked with the World Health Organization throughout his career. He was a member of the first Erie County Council and finished his career serving as the Director of Veteran's Affairs.

Bill was adopted by the Seneca Nation of Indians in 1964, and maintained life memberships in the Burma Star Assn., Combat Infantrymen's Assn., U.S. Army Ranger Assn., Special Operations Assn. (SOA), Special Forces Assn., Military Order of the Purple Heart, American Legion Carl Neff Post #571, VFW Post 4789, Chapel of the Four Chaplains, U.S. Army Counter Intelligence Corps Veterans, Disabled American Veterans, and was a 32nd Degree Mason.

Bill was preceded in death by his wife of over 60 years, Lorraine E. (Alm) Hill; son, Joseph A. Hill; grandson, SSgt. William J. Hill, U.S. Army; grandson, Joseph A. Hill, Jr.; and granddaughter, Toni Lynn Hill. Survivors include son, William W. Hill, and wife, Diane, of Kane, Pa.; daughter, Sue A. Vrenna, and husband, Jack, of Lawrence Park, Pa.; son, Robert W. Hill, and wife, Ruth, of Corry, Pa.; son, Roger L. Hill, and wife, Georgia, of Harbor Creek, Pa.; son, Michael T. Hill, and wife, Debbie, of Harbor Creek, Pa.; 13 grandchildren; 28 great-grandchildren; two great-great-grandchildren; as well as extended family.

Hoffman, Ronald L.

SFC Ronald L. Hoffman, US Army retired, passed away 30 March 2008 at his home in Augusta , Georgia . His death was attributed to wounds he received in Vietnam in 1968. Ron served in both the Korean and Vietnam Wars. During the Vietnam War Ron served at FOB 2 as a 11 on a Spike Team. His many awards include the Purple Heart, Combat Infantryman Badge, Presidential Unit Citation and Army commendation Medal. He was an active member in the American Legion, DAV and National Order of Trench Rats. He is survived by his wife Doris Davis; five children; James Lakeman and wife Allyson of Greensboro, North Carolina, Cathy Sors and her husband Tim of Goose Creek, South Carolina, Dan Hoffman and his wife Janice of Fayetteville, North Carolina, Wendy San Angelo and husband Michael of Tucson, Arizona, and Jennifer Lakeman of Augusta, Georgia; brother Gerald Brainard of Detroit, Michigan; sister Norma Jean Van Schoick of Venice, Florida; and eleven grand children.

Hogan, Gerald D.

Gerald D. “Jerry” Hogan, 80, of Kingsland, Texas, died Friday, September 28, 2012. Graveside services will be at 10 a.m. Tuesday in Mallard Cemetery under the direction of Jerry Woods Funeral Home in Nocona.

He joined the Marine Corps on March 12, 1948 and then served on Guam from 1948 to 1950. He was a corporal in the 2nd platoon of B-1-7 Marines as its fire team leader. The platoon was commanded by 1st Lt. Chew Een Lee. Jerry served in Korea from 1950 to April 15, 1951 and was a survivor of the Chosin Reservoir campaign. He was discharged from the USMC on March 12, 1952.  Mr. Hogan worked at Tradewind Airport and Pantex Plant in Amarillo before retiring.

Survivors include Aaron Hogan and wife Tina of Kingdland; Angie Wheeler and husband Devin of Kingsland; DeeAnn Osteen and husband Buddy of Amarillo; sister-in-law Katie Hogan of Saint Jo; nine grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.

Holland, John Rufus

John Rufus Holland was born March 01, 1927 in Lawrenceburg, Indiana, son of Emery and Nora Mae Loomis Holland.  He died July 19, 2010 and is buried in Forest Hill Cemetery, Moores Hill, Indiana.  He married Anne E. (née Lane) Holland  on December 26, 1947.  She predeceased him on February 5, 1995.

He retired from the United States Military having served with the United States Marine Corps from 1942 to 1945. (He lied about his age to join the United States Marine Corps.) He served in the United States Army from 1947 to 1970, with two tours of duty in Vietnam from 15 June 1968 to 2 December 1968 and from 25 June 1969 to 17 April 1970 and retired at the rank of Sergeant Major (E-9). He served with the 3rd Marine Division during World War II; the 187th Regiment Team in Korea and served four times in Vietnam with the Special Forces and was an original Green Beret.

He received the Task Force Omega award in 2004 for outstanding support and dedication to POW/MIA efforts. In 2008, he received the Vietnam Veteran-of-the-Year and was recognized by the Indiana House of Representatives for his dedication to the United States of America. He was recognized at the Aurora Firecracker Festival for having written a law enacted by Congress for the humane treatment of POWs. Among his many medals received were the Combat Infantry Medal with Star, the Marine Corps Action Ribbon, and the Master Jump Wings with two Gold Stars. In retirement, he was an advocate of MIA and POW groups and was one of the four founders of the Rolling Thunder organization.

He is survived by six sons and daughters-in-law, John and Cindy Holland, of Henryville, Indiana, Patrick and Charlene Holland, of Moores Hill, Steve and Lisa Holland, of Jacksonville, Florida, Rob Holland, of Burlington, Kentucky, Chris and Cindy Holland, of Clarksville, Indiana, and Eric Holland, of Texas; ; a daughter, Megan Holland, of Madison, Indiana; his brother, Robert Holland, of Pennsylvania; his sister, Luella Brooker, of Lawrenceburg; 15 grandchildren, and one great-grandchild.

Holt, Marvin Benton Sr.

My father, Marvin Benton Holt Sr., served in the Korean War.  He passed away on September 4, 2003.  He was from Newton, Georgia. - Candi Mathis [see Buddy Search, Deceased, Holt]

Hopkins, John Gabriel "Birdie"

From the Daily Record, April 4, 1999

(Click picture for a larger view)

BOONTON - John G. "Birdie" Hopkins died Thursday at Crestwood Nursing Home in Whippany after a long illness. He was 69.  Born in Boonton, he was a lifelong resident.

Mr. Hopkins retired in 1985 as the assistant director of development at J.P. Stevens Co., a textile research and development company in Garfield, which is now Westpoint Stevens.

He was an Army veteran of the Korean War and served in the 82nd Airborne Division.  He served in the 3rd Platoon, K Co., 508th RCT, participating in Exercise Longhorn on April 8, 1952.  The exercise was the largest Airborne Heavy Equipment drop to that point in time.

Mr. Hopkins was a member and past grand knight of Walter J. Barrett Knights of Columbus Council 19545 and of American Legion Post 124; and a member of Elks Lodge 1405 and the South Boonton Field Club, all in Boonton. He was also a member of the Peace Pipe Country Club of Boonton Township, the American Philatelic Society and the 508th Airborne Chapter of the 82nd Airborne Division.

His brothers, Gerald and Joseph, both died previously.  Survivors include his wife, Eleanor (Ballard); two sons, Stephen J. and John M.; a daughter, Carol A; two brothers, Edwin of Boonton and Charles "Buck" of South Carolina; three sisters, Eileen Maraziti, Dolores Gallagher and Lucille Scerbo; and two granddaughters.

Hotelling, Lewis A.

Lewis A. Hotelling, Age 80, of Hamilton, was swept from this life to life of everlasting on Monday, October 20, 2009, at Fort Hamilton Hospital. He was born in Hamilton, Ohio, on September 10, 1929, to the late Lyall and Lila (nee Bellis) Hotelling. On December 24, 1949, in Hamilton, Lewis married his wife, Ruth Mae Gill.

He served his country in the US Army during the Korean War receiving a Silver Star and the Purple Heart. Lewis retired from the Army as a Major. He fought the war for his country long after the war was over for those who were forgotten. Lewis was written about in the book The 7th Infantry Regiment Combat in an Age of Terror by John C. McManus. He was later an investigator for the Bureau of Workers Compensation for 15 years.

Lewis was a member of Disabled American Veterans Chapter #15 and a member of the Muncie, Indiana Masonic Lodge, Shriners and Order of Eastern Star. He loved life, was adventurous and full of knowledge. If you needed an answer you called on Lou. He loved the outdoors especially fishing, camping, boating and travel. His final travel was to the Gates of Heaven to rest in peace.

Lewis is survived by his wife of over 59 years, Ruth Mae Hotelling; daughter Rebecca (Russell) Smith of Corbin, Kentucky; two grandsons, Steven Paul and Russell Smith, II; sister, Mary Childers of Hamilton; sister-in-law, Melba Steve of Dallas, Texas; nieces and nephews; and loving pets, Snickers and Ceedee. Lewis was also preceded in death by son, Steve Hotelling in 1975 and daughter, Sue Hotelling in 2005.

Funeral services will be held at Webb Noonan Funeral Home, Ross Avenue at South “D” Street, Hamilton, at 1:30pm on Friday, October 23, 2009. Interment will follow at Rose Hill Burial Park. Family and friends will be received prior to the service from 11:30-1:30 at the funeral home. “Rest in Peace Grandpa” Memorial Contributions are suggested to Kidney Foundation of Greater Cincinnati 2200 Victory Parkway, Ste 510 Cincinnati, OH 45206 or the American Cancer Society 2808 Reading Road Cincinnati, OH 45206.

Howard, Henry G. "HG" Jr.

MGYSGT Henry G. "HG" Howard, USMC (Ret.), passed away at his home October 12, 2013.  He was 81.

HG was the rock and strength of the many lives he touched, was a devoted husband, father and friend.  His compassion, wisdom, strength and integrity were in part the product of his many years in the Corps and those of us who were a part of his life will forever be better for knowing him.  He served not only his country, but in the true spirit of the Marine Corps always placed others before himself and was an inspiration to all.  He truly led by example his entire life.

HG is survived by his beloved wife Lucy, his devoted son and best friend, Randy Eisenhauer and his wife Barbara, many grandchildren, great grandchildren, and friends.

Chapel services will be held in Jacksonville, North Carolina at Jones Funeral home chapel. Sunday, October 27th, at 1400 hours.  Family and friends gathering will be one hour prior to service.  His remains will be interred at Arlington National Cemetery.

In lieu of flowers, the family has established the "Henry G. Howard Jr. Memorial Fund", Attention: MCFU, P.O. Box 1551, Jacksonville, NC 28541.

Howes, Stanley Harold

Stanley Harold Howes, 74, died Tuesday, Aug. 27, 2002, at North Monroe (Louisiana) Medical Center.  Visitation will be Friday at Mulhearn Funeral Home, Monroe, from 4 p.m. until the funeral at 6.

A native of Ponchatoula, he was a Merchant Marine during World War II and a U.S. Army staff sergeant during the Korean War where he received a Silver Star and a Purple Heart. He was a member of Masonic Lodge, Shrine Temple and the Disabled American Veterans, and a former member of the Tangipahoa Parish Sheriff's Reserve Unit.

He is survived by his children, Fritz Howes of Homer, Kurt Howes of Shreveport, Lisa Maria Howes of Clemmons, N.C.; one brother, Travis Howes of Independence; seven grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his parents, Albert Edward and Olga Fischer Howes.

Memorial donations may be made to Shriners Hospitals for Children, 3100 Samford Ave., Shreveport 71103.

Hronec, George

My uncle, George Hronec, passed away on June 10, 1991 in Lorain, Ohio. He was the youngest of eight children and was born on July 27, 1928 in Lorain to John and Mary Mraz Hronec.

George was an Army veteran who had been stationed with the 148th Quartermaster Graves Registration Company in Wonju, South Korea. His kind, gentle nature will always be missed and I am very proud of his military service to our country....In gratitude, Carolyn M. Ziurys"

Huckaby, John

John B. Huckaby of Eunice died on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 at the Jennings American Legion Hospital. He was 78.

A Mass of Christian Burial will be Celebrated at 1:00 pm on Friday, March 19, 2010 at St. Anthony Catholic Church in Eunice. Entombment will follow in the St. Paul Mausoleum with Father Tom Voorhies Celebrant.

Huckaby was the owner and operator of John’s TV Service. A US Army veteran of the Korean War, he held the Bronze Medal.

Survivors include his wife, Dorothy Jane Young Huckaby of Eunice; five sons, Jude Huckaby and wife, Rhoda of Eunice, Jason Huckaby and husband, Michael Schoenenberger of California, Jonathan Huckaby and partner, Wallace Bennett of Houston, Jody Huckaby and partner, Stephen Goolsby of Washington, DC, and John Huckaby, Jr. of New Orleans; three daughters, Sister Joan Manuel, C.S.J. of Baton Rouge, Jann Hebert and Janie Huckaby both of Eunice; his sister, Celina Williams of Church Point; 11 grandchildren, Lori Guillory and husband, Troy, Wendy Young and husband, Tracy, Dustin Huckaby, Matthew Huckaby and wife, Sakara, Laci Byrne and husband, Jeremy, Shane Manuel and wife, Nikki, Michael Manuel and fiancé Sarah Andrus, Christopher Hebert, Aimee Hebert Thomas, Patrick Hebert and wife, Dianna and Bryan Hebert, and 17 great-grandchildren.

He was preceded in death by his parents, Ernest and Amalie Arnaud Huckaby, and his brothers, Ned Huckaby and Alphan Huckaby.

Visitation will be held at Ardoin’s Funeral Home in Eunice on Thursday, March 18 from 11:00 am until 10:00 pm and again on Friday, March 19, from 8:00 am until time of services. Deacon Gary Gaudin and Deacon Chuck Ortego will recite a Rosary at 7 Thursday evening.

Hudder, Vernon R. Jr. "Bob"

Mr. Vernon Robert “Bob” Hudder, Jr., age 79, of Mountain Home, passed away February 17, 2009 at his home. A memorial service, conducted by Rev. Dr. Sam Bailey, will be 2:00 P.M. Sunday, Feb. 22 at Twin Lakes Baptist Church. Interment, with services conducted by his eldest son, Rev. Dr. R. Steven Hudder, will be 10 AM Tues. Feb. 24 at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery in St. Louis, MO with military honors.

Mr. Hudder was born July 19, 1929 in St. Louis, MO to Vernon Robert Hudder, Sr and Mildred Adams Hudder. He married Emma Hughes on Dec. 2, 1955 and she preceded him in death on Sept. 10, 1999. He was an Air Force Veteran and member of the Twin Lakes Baptist Church. He was a founding member and First Commander of the Mountain Home Korean War Veterans Association; American Legion; VFW and Society of Strategic Air Command. He was active in the Mountain Home Youth Basketball and Football programs as a referee. In 1996 he wrote a book detailing his Korean War combat missions.

Survivors include three sons: Dr. R. Steven (Dianne) Hudder of Miami, FL, Terry Hudder of Columbia, SC, and Dr. Glen Hudder of St. Louis, MO, Two daughters: Karen (Lonnie) Emard of Columbia, SC, and Laura Robertson of Mountain Home.. Two Brothers: Dr. Jerry Hudder of Fayetteville, AR and David (Bev) Hudder of Tuscon, AZ. Six grandchildren and three great grandchildren.

Memorial Contributions are suggested to Hospice of the Ozarks Hospice House.

Hunter, William R.

William R. Hunter, Charlie 1/7, died Friday, October 13, 2006 at 3 pm. He was buried Monday, October 16, with full military honors by 13th Force Recon Company and I & I staff members at Mobile Memorial Gardens, Mobile Alabama.

Hurt, Raymond E. Jr.

Raymond E. Hurt Jr. passed away November 15, 2012. He was born January 31, 1931, in San Pedro, California, the only child of the late Raymond Hurt and Marie (VanCleve) Hurt.

After graduating from Cutler Academy in Los Angeles in 1948, he joined the Navy in February 1950.   He served six months in the Naval Hospital at Bremerton, Washington, and was then assigned to the Marines as a corpsman .  He served in Korea with the 1st Marine Division Company H. He was awarded the Silver Star for gallantry.  While the company was attacking a well-defended enemy position on Hill 483, he repeatedly exposed himself to enemy fire to go to the aid of wounded personnel. He made repeated trips across open, fire-swept terrain, to carry four wounded Marines over one hundred yards to safety.

Just prior to leaving the military he married Jo Ann Vanderford of Albuquerque, New Mexico. Living in California, they raised three children. He worked as a longshoreman/checker on the docks of Long Beach and Los Angeles for 52 years. While there he got his education at Cal State Long Beach and went on to teach special education at Estancia High School in Costa Mesa, California, for 20 years.

He leaves behind his wife Stephany; his two sons, Raymond (Skip) Hurt of Tuftonboro, New Hampshire, and Robert Hurt of Missoula, Montana; a daughter, Pamela Arroues of Helena, Montana; and 14 grandchildren and one great grandchild.

He will be interned with full honors at Arlington Cemetery in summer 2013. In lieu of memorial contributions, please give blood.

Close this window

© 2002-2016 Korean War Educator. All rights reserved. Unauthorized use of material is prohibited.

- Contact Webmaster with questions or comments related to web site layout.
- Contact Lynnita for Korean War questions or similar informational issues.
- Website address:

Hit Counter