Death Notices submitted to KWE
Names Starting with "T"

Close this window

Tanner, Douglas Arnold

Douglas Arnold Tanner passed away at home in Gainesville, Florida on February 26,2006 of  heart failure.

Taplett, Col. Bob

Colonel Bob Taplett of Arlington, VA died at 0700 17 December, 2004. A Funeral Mass will be held at the Old Post Chapel at Fort Meyer 31 January. Burial will follow at Arlington National Cemetery. He was CO of the 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines, 1st Marine Division, and participated in the Pusan Perimeter, Inchon Landing, and Chosin Reservoir campaign in 1950.  Following is an article written by Joe Holley, Washington Post Staff Writer, that appeared in the Saturday, January 8, 2005 issue of that newspaper on page B06:

Decorated Marine Robert Taplett Dies

Robert D. Taplett, 86, a heavily decorated Marine colonel who led his 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, in the grueling strategic retreat at Chosin Reservoir during the Korean War, died Dec. 17 of congestive heart failure at the Powhatan Nursing Home in Falls Church.

A running battle during the winter months of 1950, in temperatures falling to 40 degrees below zero at night, the Battle of the Chosin Reservoir lasted three weeks, as U.S. and allied forces fought their way back to the sea in the face of relentless assaults from Chinese forces, who outnumbered them by more than 5 to 1. About 15,000 Marines and 3,000 Army troops took part in the battle.

"From Nov. 27 to Dec. 10, we were in almost constant combat," Col. Taplett told USA Today in 2000. "I don't think I slept two hours the whole time. You had to keep moving, or you'd freeze. I left Yudami-ni with roughly 1,300 men and got into Hagaru-ni (at the south end of the reservoir) with 326 effective Marines. Better than half our casualties were caused by weather." The severe frostbite he suffered caused Col. Taplett to have difficulties walking for the rest of his life.

A longtime Arlington resident, Robert Donald Taplett was born in Tyndall, S.D. He graduated with honors from the University of South Dakota in 1940. He was a member of the Army ROTC in college, but in 1940, the Marine Corps corralled Col. Taplett and a number of honor graduates across the country. He resigned his Army commission and became a Marine second lieutenant in 1940. He went through basic training at the Philadelphia Navy Yard.

He loved being a Marine, his wife, Patricia Taplett, recalled. Dark-haired, 6 feet 2 inches tall, in his dress blues he seemed made for the Corps. "Some people called him a poor man's Gregory Peck," Mrs. Taplett said. "I always said he was a cross between Tyrone Power and Robert Taylor."

On Dec. 7, 1941, he was serving aboard the USS Salt Lake City at Pearl Harbor. The cruiser was escorting the carrier Enterprise, which had engine trouble and was just outside the harbor when the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor began. Unscathed, the Salt Lake City headed off in pursuit of the Japanese fleet. He was aboard the Salt Lake City for three years and participated in the major battles of the Pacific, including a decisive engagement in the Aleutian Islands in 1943, a battle that naval historian Samuel Eliot Morison called "the last heavy gunfire daylight action, with no interference by air power, submarines or torpedoes." In October 1944, the Salt Lake City provided fire support at Iwo Jima and Okinawa.

After the war, Col. Taplett served as commanding officer of the Navy supply barracks at Clearview, Utah, at Treasure Island in San Francisco Bay and at the Naval Air Station in Alameda, Calif. He also served with the Headquarters Battalion, 1st Marine Division, at Camp Pendleton, Calif. He was dispatched to Korea in 1950. "From the time he came in with the brigade, from Pusan, up through Seoul, all the way to the Chosin Reservoir, just about every dirty job the 5th Marines had, he led the way," said fellow Marine Frank Metersky, a member of the Chosin Few, an organization of Marines who survived the Chosin retreat. "He, to me, is one of the finest officers in the history of the Marine Corps," said Metersky, co-chairman of the Korean War POW-MIA committee. Col. Taplett was awarded the Navy Cross, two Silver Stars, the Legion of Merit and a Bronze Star.

After the Korean War, Col. Taplett spent several months traveling the country lecturing to military audiences on the importance of close-air support, a Marine concept perfected during World War II, and then became academic director of the Basic School at Quantico in 1951 and 1952. He was at Marine Corps headquarters from 1953 to 1956. From 1957 to 1959, he was based in Hawaii, although he spent most of his time training troops in Okinawa and the Philippines. He was sent back to Quantico in 1959, a member of the landing force development center. Unhappy that he wasn't working directly with troops, he retired in 1960 after 20 years of service.

In retirement, Col. Taplett and his family moved to Arlington, where he worked for several professional associations and then for the U.S. Postal Service, where his duties included teaching management techniques to supervisors. He retired in 1993.

He made two trips back to South Korea, the last in 1985, and while there expressed sympathy for the North Korean people. He remembered how they sheltered Marines during that unimaginably hard winter years earlier and how they shared whatever food they could spare.

He received his master's degree in human resource development from George Washington University, attending class at night, and wrote a combat memoir, "Dark Horse Six" (2003), the title alluding to his battalion's radio call, "Dark Horse." In Iraq today, the 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines use the same call sign in his honor. He also collected donations for the Arlington charity SOME (So Others Might Eat), volunteered with the Women's National Symphony Decorators' Show House and was a monitor at the Kennedy Center Young People's Concerts.

Survivors include his wife of 58 years, of Arlington; six children, Claire Taplett and Marty K. Taplett, both of Arlington, Christine McCarty of Charlottesville, Robert Howard Taplett of Purchase, N.Y., Martin Ross Taplett of Pinehurst, N.C., and Margo Barbara Taplett of Park City, Utah; a brother; and nine grandchildren.

A Taplett Tribute can be found at this website:

Tassey, George

Col. George Tassey, US Army (Retired), 92, died Thursday, November 29, 2012, at Riverview Nursing Home, under the care of Hospice Savannah, Inc.

George Tassey, a native Savannahian, graduated from Savannah Commercial High School in 1939. He earned a BA from North Georgia College and a Masters degree from Boston University. He was a graduate of the Infantry Advanced Officers Course and the Command and General Staff College.

He volunteered for military service in World War II, completed infantry basic and later attended the Officer Candidate School at Fort Benning where he was commissioned a Lieutenant of Infantry. He served in the Philippines during World War II, and was granted a Regular Army commission during the first Regular Army integration of selected AUS officers.

At the outset of the Korean War, he commanded an infantry company. As a company commander of the 23rd Infantry, 2nd Infantry Division, he shared the hardships and the victories of the regiment's valiant stand again four Chinese divisions at Chipyong-Ni in February of 1951.

Upon return to the United States he was assigned to the Ranger Department, the Infantry School, as training officer. He served a second tour in Korea in 1962, as Brigade Operations officer of the 1st Calvary Division; then as the Deputy Battle Group Commander of the 12th Calvary. His third combat duty was in 1969, in Vietnam as Deputy Senior Advisor to the 7th ARVN (South Vietnamese) Infantry Division in the Mekong Delta.

Other highlights of his military service: Commander of the US Army Mountain Ranger Camp, Dahlonega, Georgia; two tours in Germany as Infantry Battalion Operation and Training Officer; staff officer, United States Army European Command at Heidelberg; Deputy District Commander, North Wuerttemberg District; Post Commander of Patch Barracks, where the European Command Headquarters was located. His last duty assignment was as Senior Advisor to the Maneuver Training Command in Kentucky.

His awards include: the Silver Star medal; Legion of Merit (w/oak leaf); Air Medal (three), Bronze Star Medal; Army Commendation Medal w/cluster; Distinguished Unit Citation; Combat Infantryman Badge; and the ranger Tab. Foreign awards: The Philippine Liberation Medal and the Philippine Independence Medal; the Korean Presidential Unit Citation; Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry; Vietnamese Staff Service Medal.  He participated in five major campaigns in Korea (five battle stars). He was awarded two battle stars for his involvement in Vietnam.

Colonel Tassey retired from the US Army on March 1, 1975 after serving for thirty-two years. He was installed in the Infantry Officer Candidate's School Hall of Fame at Fort Banning, Georgia in 1979.  He was past president and member of the Lions Club of Savannah, member of the American Legion, the Retired officers Association, the Military Order of World Wars and a charter member of the World War II Memorial. Colonel Tassey is a member of St. Paul's Greek Orthodox Church.

He was preceded in death by his wife, the former Dorothy Jackson of Fort Screven, Georgia; and is survived by his two children, George, Jr., and Cynthia Owen of Idaho; a brother, Harry Tassopoulos of Decatur, Georgia; numerous grandchildren and great grandchild; and several nephews and nieces and great nieces.

Trisagion Service: 7 p.m. Tuesday at Fairhaven Funeral Home, Hubert C. Baker with Father Vasile Mihai, officiating. Visitation: 6 - 8 p.m. Tuesday in the Hubert C . Baker Chapel. Funeral Services: 11 a.m. Wednesday at St. Paul's Greek Orthodox Church, with Father Vasile Mihai, officiating. Interment will follow in Hillcrest Abbey Memorial Park, with Military Honors.

Remembrances: St. Paul's Greek Orthodox Church, 14 West Anderson Street, Savannah, Georgia 31401.

Tate, Richard Nelson

Richard N. Tate of Upland, California, passed away of natural causes at age 83 on April 12, 2012. He was the eldest son of Oscar Nelson & Adelaide A. Tate, born on October 13, 1928 in Hollywood, California.

Richard’s family was part of “Tate Cadillac” and “OraAddies” ladies apparel business in the Pomona Valley. Richard was raised in Pomona attending Emerson Jr. High, Pomona High School & Pomona Jr. College. He completed his education in 1946.

Richard entered the army in December 1950 and served six years with distinction as an Infantry Sergeant with the 3rd Infantry Division in the Korean War. His awards and decorations included the United Nations Service Medal, the Korean Service Medal with Three Bronze Battle Stars and the Combat Infantry/Medical Badge.

After his military service, he was employed by Rohr Industries, Inc. in Riverside, California as a Senior Analyst. He retired in 1992 after 33 years. Richard resided in the Claremont and Upland areas. He was a member of the American Legion & NRA. He had fond memories of growing up in the car culture of the 40′s, 50′s & 60′s with pictures of all of his cars. He loved horses and was an experienced equestrian in his younger years.

Richard is survived by a sister, Leita Joyce Tate, brother, Wallace James Tate, and extended family. Military services are pending at Riverside Memorial Cemetery.

Tedrow, Donald Ray

My wonderful husband, Donald Ray Tedrow, served on the front line in the Korean War.  He later went to Vietnam.  He died from Agent Orange on January 27, 2005--the saddest day of my life.

Posted at the request of Ruth Tedrow.

Thacker, Terrell Jr.

Terrell Thacker, Jr., 82, died Friday, November 1, 2013, at Signature Health Care Nursing Facility, Pikeville, Kentucky. He was born in Pike County, June 2, 1931, the son of the late Joel and Ella Fair Adkins Thacker.

He was a retired coal miner and proudly served this country in the United Sates Army.

Besides his parents, he was preceded in death by his wife, Martha Ann Thacker.  Terrell is survived by four sons, Harold Thacker and Jimmy Thacker, both of Tennessee, and Roger Thacker and Lester Thacker, both of Raccoon; six daughters, Anna Mae Johnson of Raccoon, Brenda Gale Cantrell of Elkhorn City, Glenda Faye Coleman of Ohio, Wanda Sue Tackett of Betsy Layne, Bonnie Lou Hensley of Brushy and Debbie Thacker of Johns Creek; one brother, Jeffrey Thacker of North Carolina; and 20 grandchildren.

Funeral services were conducted at 11 a.m. on Tuesday, November 5, with Butch Thacker and Terry Thacker officiating. Entombment followed in the J.U. Thacker Mausoleum, Annie E. Young Cemetery, Pikeville with military services observed by Johns Creek DAV Chapter #166.

Thompson, Lee Grant

Mr. Lee Grant Thompson, 84, passed away Thursday, November 29, 2012, at Abbott Terrace Health Center. He was the husband of Mrs. Florence (Thomas) Thompson of Waterbury.

Mr. Thompson was born July 25, 1928, in Laurens, South Carolina, a son of the late Albert and Bertha (Winfrey) Thompson. He was educated in the South Carolina public school system before moving to Waterbury, where he resided until his passing.

He served in the United States Army during the Korean War and four years in the Army Reserve. He was employed by Uniroyal for 33 years until his retirement in 1983. Mr. Thompson was an avid Mets fan, enjoyed playing the lottery, reading the newspaper and was a jokester. He loved his family, especially the great-grandchildren.

In addition to his wife of 58 years, he is survived by three daughters, Linda Lee (Benjamin) Rhodes, Alberta Thompson and Trena (Chris) Reeves, all of Waterbury; one son, Lee G. Thompson of Austin, Texas; nine grandchildren, Marc, BJ, Toya, Gregory, Lissa, Christopher, Manny, Michael and Jamel, all of Waterbury; five great-grandchildren, Zaria, Shya, Jurnee, Davion and Xavier, all of Waterbury; several nieces, nephews, cousins, extended family and friends. He was predeceased by one son, Larry Thompson, one grandson, Michael Henry Rhodes, five brothers and four sisters.

Funeral service will be held 11 a.m. Wednesday, Dec. 5, 2012, at Chapel Memorial Funeral Home, 35-37 Grove St., Waterbury, with the Rev. Thomas Mallory officiating. Burial will be in New Pine Grove Cemetery with full military honors. Calling hour will be held 10 a.m. Wednesday at the funeral home. The family will receive friends at the funeral home from 10:30 a.m. until the time of service and at all other times at the home of his daughter, Linda Rhodes, at 111 Dikeman St., Waterbury.

Thompson, Tommy F.

Tommy F. Thompson died September 25, 2005. He was in the 1st Marine Division, 1st Battalion in Korea.  More information will follow as submitted.

Thornton, James H.

James H. Thornton, 77, of Toledo, passed away Thursday, October 19, 2006, in his home. Born October 7, 1929, in Toledo to Francis "Pat" and Grace (Brown) Thornton, he graduated from Central Catholic High School in 1947. Jim was a sergeant in the U.S. Marine Corps and served as a drill instructor from February, 1949 until he was honorably discharged in October, 1952. Jim was a member of the First Marine Division H-3-1 and served his country in the Korean War where he earned a Purple Heart. Jim was a member of the Catholic War Vets, Logsdon_Walla Post #639.

He worked as a tool and die maker first for the Electric Auto-Lite Company and then for the Champion Spark Plug Company where he worked for 32 years, retiring in February 1991. Jim was a devoted and loving husband and father. He spent many years coaching his kids and made it a point to never miss a game. He was a member of the Men's Club of Little Flower Parish where he was very active in volunteer work. He also volunteered his time as a ticket taker at St. John's Jesuit High School basketball games for many years while his sons attended.

Jim was preceded in death by his parents; sister, Rosemary Holliday and brother, Robert Thornton. He is survived by his loving wife of 53 years, Nancy J. (Gozdowski) Thornton; children, David and Julie (Jordan) and their children, Patrick and Ben; Kevin and his children, Karli (Josh) Woggon and Sam; Valerie and John Myers and their children, Jonathan, Jeremy and Justin; Mark and Christine (Samiec) and their children, Katie (fiance, Mike Evangelist), Betsy, Alex and Marcus; Paul and Sue (Creque) and their children, Andy and Chris; Mike and Micki (Jobuck) and their children, Andrea, Chelsea and Jenny; Connie and Darrel Limes and their children, Jenna and Jessica; great-granddaughter, Maggie Woggon; brother, Richard (Theresa) Thornton; sister-in-law, Roberta Thornton; brother-in-law, Charles "Sandy" Holliday of Crystal Springs, MS and many nieces and nephews.

Friends may call at the Thomas I. Wisniewski Funeral Home, 2456 North Reynolds Rd. (419-531-4424) from 1-8 p.m. Sunday, October 22, 2006. Scripture services will be at held at 4 p.m. and the Catholic War Vets Rosary will be recited at 8 p.m. The Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated on Monday at 10 a.m. at Little Flower Catholic Church where friends will be received after 9 a.m. Burial, Resurrection Cemetery. Those wishing a memorial for Jim may consider Little Flower Church, Hospice of Northwest Ohio or an organization of their choice.

The family wishes to thank all the friends and neighbors who have been so supportive these last 13-1/2 years. A special thank you to Father Joe, Jane Paquette, the nurses from Caring Services and Hospice of Northwest Ohio, especially nurse, Diane Braker.  Dad, you will be missed!

Thyng, Harrison R.

Brigadier General Harry Thyng died on September 24, 1983.  He was one of only seven Americans to become an ace in two wars, and was a Silver Star recipient during the Korean War (his third Silver Star).

Harry Thyng was born on April 12, 1918, in Laconia, New Hampshire.  He was commissioned  a 2nd Lieutenant of infantry in the United States Army Reserve through the Army ROTC program at the University of New Hampshire on May 27, 1939, and entered the Aviation Cadet Program of the U.S. Army Air Corps on June 27, 1939  Lieutenant Thyng was awarded his pilot wings at Kelly Field, Texas, on March 24, 1940, and then served with the 94th Pursuit Squadron of the 1st Pursuit Group at Selfridge Field, Michigan, from March to October 1940.  Lieutenant Thyng next served with the 41st Pursuit Squadron of the 31st Pursuit Group, first at Selfridge Field and later at Baer Field, Indiana, from October 1940 to January 1942.

He then became the first commander of the 309th Fighter Squadron under the 31st Fighter Group, moving with the group to New Orleans, Louisiana, in February 1942, and then deployed to England in June 1942, flying British Spitfires.

Major Thyng led the first American fighter raids out of England during this time, and commanded the 309th through the North Africa invasion in November 1942, until returning to the U.S. in May 1943.  He was credited with the destruction of five enemy aircraft in aerial combat plus two probables and three damaged between August 1942 and May 1943.  After recovering from injuries he received in North Africa, Colonel Thyng completed P-47 Thunderbolt training and then took command of the 413th Fighter Group at Bluethenthal Field, North Carolina, in November 1944.

He moved with the group to le Shima in June 1945, and was credited with another probable air victory before returning to the U.S. in October 1945.  During this time he flew on the long-range escort mission of the B-29 Boxcar on the second atomic bombing mission against Nagasaki, Japan, on August 9, 1945.  After the war, Colonel Thyng transitioned into the P-80 Shooting Star jet fighter and served as a jet fighter instructor for the Air National Guard from September 1947 to November 1951.

He was commander of the 4th Fighter Interceptor Wing in Korea from November 1951 to October 1952, during which time he was credited with the destruction of five enemy aircraft in aerial combat plus four damaged, for a two-war total of ten destroyed in the air, three probables, and seven damaged.  He shot down most of his "damaged" aircraft, but had a practice of giving victories to his wingmen who protected him in combat.

After Korea, Colonel Thyng served as Deputy for Operations with Headquarters, Western Air Defense Force, at Hamilton AFB, California, from December 1952 to June 1954, and then commander of the 4702nd Defense Wing at Geiger Field, Washington, from Jne to October 1954.  His next assignment was as commander and vice commander of the 9th Air division at Geiger Field from October 1954 to July 1957.

Colonel Thyng attended National War College from July 1957 to July 1958, and then served with Headquarters U.S. Air Force in the Pentagon until January 1959.  He next served with the Federal Aviation Administration in Washington, D.C., from January 1959 to October 1960, followed by service as commander of the Duluth Air Defense Sector at Duluth Municipal Airport, Minnesota, from October 1960 to July 1963.

General Thyng was vice commander of the Northern NORAD Region at RCAF North Bay in Ontario, Canada, from July 1963 to January 1966 until his retirement from the Air Force on April 1, 1966.  After retiring from the Air Force, Harry ran for the U.S. Senate in New Hampshire, but lost to the incumbent candidate.  He also founded the New England Aeronautical Institute which later merged with Daniel Webster Junior College and became Daniel Webster College in Nashua, New Hampshire.

Tieman, Stanley "Spud"

Stanley E. "Spud" Tieman, 81, of Ivesdale, Illinois, passed away at 9:25 p.m. Thursday (Oct. 27, 2011) at his residence in Ivesdale.  Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Wednesday, November 2, 2011, at Roux-Hinds Funeral Home, 348 N. Piatt St., Bement. The Rev. Larry Hallman will officiate. Visitation will be held from 5 to 8 p.m. Tuesday, November 1, also at the funeral home. Burial will be in the Hammond Cemetery, Hammond. Military graveside rites will be given by the Albert Parker American Legion Post 620, Bement.

Spud was born on July 20, 1930, in Sadorus, Illinois, a son of William H. and Essie P. Dehart Tieman. He married Phyllis Shumard on June 29, 1958, in Bement and later renewed their vows on July 25, 2010, in Ivesdale.

Surviving are three sons, Harry O. (Angie) Binion of Atwood, Trent W. Tieman of Russell Springs, Ky., and Ted (Debra) Tieman of Bement; and two daughters, Teal (Larry) Dalton of Tolono and Trea Carver of Glasgow, Ky. Also surviving are 12 grandchildren, Ben Binion and Dawna Binion, Erin (Jason) Williams, Jake Jordan, Bernie Ganley, Rachel Madden, Jacque (Matt) Clemmons, Tara Zook, Dawson Tieman, Tyler Tieman, Megan Tieman and Brittany Tieman, 10 great-grandchildren, four step-grandchildren; and five step-great-grandchildren. Other survivors include a brother, Louie (Wilma) Tieman of Bement; and two sisters, Bernadine Hamilton and Mary Ellen (Rocky) Brashear, both of Houston, Texas. He was preceded in death by his parents, one great-grandson, Chase Carver; three brothers and one sister.

Spud was a Army veteran of the Korean War and he retired from the State of Illinois Highway Department. He was a 60-year member of the Albert Parker American Legion Post 620, and he was the last survivor of the first honor guard firing squad. His hobbies included landscaping and he loved to build model airplanes and large doll houses. He enjoyed spending time with family and friends and most loved the time he spent with his grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Memorial contributions can be made to the Albert Parker American Legion Post 620 or the Ronald McDonald House in Louisville, Ky.

Tims, Robert E. Jr.

Robert E. Tims, Jr., 75, Safety Harbor, Florida, entered into rest Thursday, February 21, 2008, at his home. A graveside military memorial service will be held on Thursday, March 6, 2008 at two o’clock, at Sylvan Abbey’s Memorial Park in the Garden of Honor, Safety Harbor, FL. Senior Paster Eric Bargerhuff, Ph.D., of Clearwater Community Church will officiate. An Honor Guard detail will consist of members from the Florida Suncoast Korean War Veterans Chapter 14, who will perform a three-volley salute, the folding and presenting of the American flag to the next of kin and the playing of “Taps.” The Sylvan Abbey Funeral Director is in charge of arrangements.

Robert E. Tims, Jr. was born December. 15, 1932, to Robert E. and Marion S. Tims in Camden, NJ. He had an older sister, Elva May, and two younger siblings, David Joel and Phyllis Ann. The family owned the Tims-Cinnaminson House Restaurant on Route 130 where Robert worked as a young boy. He graduated from Palmyra High School in 1950 and proposed to his high school sweetheart, Wanda Bruce Wright, in 1952. Following his graduation he was drafted into the U.S. Army Infantry. He was stationed at Camp Kilmore, NJ and received training at Indian Town Gap, Pa and Breckenridge, KY (101st Airborne), then was sent to serve in Korea from March 1953 to December 1954. He proudly and bravely served in the 26th Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion, 24th Infantry Division in the Punch Bowl, handling half-track mounted quad .50 caliber machine guns. He also served in Masan and Sang-dong. He was honorably discharged from the service as Corporal 1st Class in February 1955.

When he returned home, he resumed working as Produce Manager for American Stores in Morristown, NJ. He married Wanda Wright on March 2, 1955, and they celebrated 52 years of marriage. Robert worked for Jay Whitman and Sons doing heating and air conditioning installation and eventually became a self-employed contractor in the 1960’s. He personally built their dream home.  He also held managerial positions for Sears and Roebuck until moving his family to Clearwater, Florida in 1980. He retired from the City of Dunedin after 14 years of service in 1998.

Robert enjoyed camping with is family, fishing with his best friend, Harry Wenger, a World War II veteran, and going on numerous trips with his wife through the years. He also enjoyed celebrating Thanksgiving and Christmas with his family, cooking, and shopping at Super Wal-Mart.

He is survived by his wife Wanda of Safety Harbor; three daughters, LuAnn Streebel and her husband James, Virginia Johnson and her husband William, Sara Ann and her husband Francis; two sons, Robert E. Tims III and Thomas Arthur and his wife Victoria; six grandchildren Tracey Lynn and her husband Josh Willey, Kelly Ann and her husband Greg Kamprath, Zachary Thomas and Logan Gregory Tims, and Joseph Anthony and Carly Ana Matera; three great-grandchildren; Shy, Moni and Bryce Willey. He was preceded in death by his parents and two sisters.

Tolen, Delbert Franklin

Delbert F. Tolen died in Grand Junction on June 25, 2004.  He was born October 20, 1930 to Elmer Tolen and Minnie Etta Klohne Tolen in Peru, Indiana, where he grew up.  Delbert moved to Montezuma, Colorado in 1948, where he worked at Climax and other smaller mines, and he considered Colorado home from then on.

He joined the Army in 1951 and served in the Korean War in Company A of the 5th Regimental Combat Team.  On May 02, 1953, he was wounded in the right arm by Chinese Communist (CCF) actions.  He continued to serve as an Infantry Platoon Leader until May 28, 1953 when he was appointed Executive Officer, Company A, 5th RCT.  He received both the Purple Heart and Silver Star while serving at Outpost Harry.

During the defense of Outpost Harry by Company A, Lieutenant Tolen was responsible for leading the counter attack platoon up the trenches to repel the enemy in the event the CCF breached the main fortifications.  The outpost's restricted size provided positions for only two plus infantry platoons.  Lieutenant Tolen organized the remaining members of the company at a medical bunker located at the bottom of the outpost.  In the early morning of June 13, 1953, Lieutenant Tolen received word that the situation on the outpost was critical.  He organized his men into assault groups and led tem through devastating mortar, artillery and small arms fire.  He engaged the enemy in hand-to-hand combat.  Lieutenant Tolen succeeded in leading his men and repulsed the attacking enemy forces.

After being discharged he returned to Colorado where he met and married Alice Mae Berg in 1954.  He graduated from the Colorado School of Mines in 1957 with a professional degree in Petroleum Refining Engineering.  He worked at various refineries throughout his career in Colorado and other states.  Delbert and Alice returned to Colorado where they lived in Golden and finally settled in Grand Junction. 

Delbert was a member of the Breckenridge Masons Lodge #47, the Colorado School of Mines Alumni Association, and the Elks Lodge.  He had a lifelong love of the outdoors and the Colorado mountains, and an abiding interest in mining and geology.  He also had a love of history, particularly of the Civil War.  He loved to read and he thought deeply on many things and loved vigorous discussion.

Delbert is survived by his wife Alice Mae; five sons and their wives, David and Lee of Aspen, Peter and Chris of Castle Rock, Stuart and Stephanie of Olathe, Edward and Tracey of Fruita, and Malcolm and Cathy of Golden; two brothers, Wayne and Leon; a sister Vivian Stanton; 13 grandchildren and two great grandchildren.  Delbert was preceded in death by his parents, a brother Jim Tolen and a sister Miriam Tolen Townsend.

Among his awards are the CIB, Silver Star, Purple Heart, Korean Service Medal with two Bronze Service Stars, United Nations Service Medal and the National Defense Medal.  He was awarded the Distinguished Unit Citation.  He was also awarded the Parachute Badge and the Republic of Korea Wharang Distinguished Military Service Medal.  Del Tolen was awarded the National Infantry Association Order of St. Maurice in June 2002.

Toliver, Patrick

I am writing in to say that my Grandfather Patrick Toliver of the Company M 7th Regt 3rd who served in Korea, and lost his legs in combat on March 31, 1950. Passed away in April of 1998. I have currently have viewed some of his military records. I know that when he lost his legs, he was a CPL and his number was RA 15232567. His mos, I believe was Mos-005. He was taken to the Tokyo Army Hospital near Wongpong, Korea. Any information you might have or pictures, would be greatly appreciated. He was a very dear man, and many of us miss him so.

Contact: Pat's oldest granddaughter,

Triantafel, Steve G.

Steve G. Triantafel,  a/k/a Steve G. Trent, veteran US Army Korean War, recipient of the Silver Star, passed away on Friday, June 14, 2006. He died peacefully at his home in Illinois.  His obituary follows:

Steve G. ''Trent'' Triantafel, Veteran US Army Korean War, Recipient of the Silver Star. Beloved husband of the late Candice, nee Kerbs; loving father of Lauren (Vicken) Alexanian; devoted son of the late George and Martha Triantafel; proud grandfather of Andrew and Ashley Alexanian; dear brother of Anita Chakos; fond uncle of Michael (Katherine) Chakos; great-uncle of Ainsley and Leland Chakos. Commander of Hellenic Post #343 American Legion and a member of AHEPA Northwestern Chapter #388 and past Supreme Governor Order of AHEPA. Visitation Monday from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. at Smith-Corcoran Funeral Home, 6150 N. Cicero Ave. Family and friends will meet Tuesday morning at St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church 2727 W. Winona St. Chicago for funeral service at 10:30 a.m. Interment Elmwood Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, donations to the Hellenic Post #343 Veterans Memorial Monument Fund 5765 N. Lincoln Ave. Chicago, IL 60659-4730 appreciated. Arrangements by John G. Adinamis Funeral Director, Ltd. 773-736-3833.

Published in the Chicago Tribune on 7/16/2006.

Turland, William C.A.

Turland, William C.A. Lifelong resident of the Detroit metropolitan area died on Monday, December 19, 2011. Mr. Turland served in the U.S. Army in World War II and the Korean War. He was awarded the Silver Star Medal for Gallantry in Action for his service in Korea. Mr. Turland was a graduate of The Detroit Institute of Technology and worked for forty-six years at Chrysler and then for ten years at Morrison Knudsen and its successor, the Washington Group. Mr. Turland is survived by his wife of forty-seven years, Joyce, his daughter Kathleen and her husband Greg Berzolla and three grandchildren, Zachary, Courtney and Andrew. He is also survived by his sister Patricia Judd, his niece Deborah Hammond and a nephew David Judd. A funeral service will be held at Christ Church Cranbrook on Thursday, December 22, 2011 at 11:00 a.m. Burial will be at Arlington National Cemetery.

Tyler, Tommy Jean

Tommy Jean "Tom" Tyler, 77, of Danville, Illinois, passed away at 12:50 a.m. Saturday, March 1, 2014, at Kindred Hospital in Indianapolis, Indiana.  A service to celebrate his life was held on March 6, and burial was followed in Spring Hill Cemetery.

He was born August 9, 1936, in Danville to Willis and Mildred Wichman Tyler.  He had been married to Karen Kimball with whom he had two daughters.  He later became engaged to Rosie Moore.  She survives.  Also surviving are his two daughters, Shelly Botkin of Tilton, Illinois and Mrs. Rick (Kerry) Hulse of Gifford, Illinois; three grandchildren, Morgan Bailey, Tony Hulse and Shelby Hulse; great-granddaughter, Kimberlynn Neveah; a niece, Alice; and his fiancee Rosie and her children, Mrs. Tim (Crystal) Shell and Ricky Moore and his daughter, Tessa.

He was preceded in death by his parents; his sister and brother-in-law, Sally and Kenny Richards; a son-in-law, Ed Botkin; and Rosie's son, Eugene.

Tom had served his country by enlisted in the U.S. Navy in which he served during the Korean War.  He had been a member of the Rossville American Legion.

Tom drove a truck for Fleming and Weller Construction, worked in the mill at Cash and Carry Lumber, and retired while working in the offices at NACCO.  He liked fishing and spending time outdoors, especially working in his yard.  Tom also loved to spend time with his family.

Close this window

2002-2016 Korean War Educator. All rights reserved. Unauthorized use of material is prohibited.

- Contact Webmaster with questions or comments related to web site layout.
- Contact Lynnita for Korean War questions or similar informational issues.
- Website address:

Hit Counter